THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is 2002 (actually 2.0015) to short to load for .308?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is 2002 (actually 2.0015) to short to load for .308?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought a Forster case trimmer with a power drill adapter. I usually try to keep my trim to case length to 2.005 to 2.010. My Lyman reloaders guide recommends a trim to length of 2.005. The brass in question is headstamped TAA (Taiwan manufacture for the USA to NATO specs, once fired). The set screw slipped a bit when I was trying to get the thing set up. I'm comfortable with a trim to and chamfered length of 2.003 but getting any shorter raises my pucker factor. Since this is NATO brass, I figure neck tension should be tight enough with 150 gr bullets.

Opinions??

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
load and shoot . if it were tooo long that would be a problem. the brass will stretch.
Take a pair calipers and look at what .002 looks like. Its not enough to be concerned about.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow. .002 is a very fine blond hair. .003 is a brown hair. .004 is a coarse horse hair. You see, it ain't enough to matter at all. You can make the brass necks only 1/8th inch long if you wanted to without problems.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. New to rifle reloading. Been doing short guns for couple years.

I figured I was being a bit "retentive" but wanted to make sure.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with being a little 'retentive' in this game! Cool

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote