Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

magnum primers
 Login/Join

posted
I have some CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers and CCI 550 Small pistol magnum primers. I need some regular non-magnum primers for 30-06, 7mm-08, 38 special, and 40 auto loads. Can these be used and if so do I need to reduce the powder charge? It's been so hard to find primers lately.
Thanks

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scduckhunter:
I have some CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers and CCI 550 Small pistol magnum primers. I need some regular non-magnum primers for 30-06, 7mm-08, 38 special, and 40 auto loads. Can these be used and if so do I need to reduce the powder charge? It's been so hard to find primers lately.
Thanks

I believe the answer is yes to both questions as far as the 06 and 08 are concerned. I don't know about the pistol rounds.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
For cases the size of 308 Winchester and larger, I've found there to be no load adjustment needed to go from regular large rifle primers to CCI 250 and other large rifle magnum primers UNLESS the loads were originally worked up with Remington primers. If Remington primers were used in load workup, decrease the load by 1 to 2 grains and work back up.

I've not used CCI 550 small pistol magnum primers but with a small case and in guns with loads of the low pressure type, you have to be a bit careful. If I were doing what you are thinking of doing, I would probably reduce the loads a little and work back up.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use them. You won't be able to tell the difference. "Magnum" primers sometimes produce pressures that, to the degree it can be meaningfully measured, are less than some "standard" primers.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With standard load data --

You're well within SAMMI spec. on pressure, so that's not an issue. But your burn rate and POI may shift with a magnum primer.

I use a standard pistol primer in magnum loads -- medium burn rate powders like HS6 and magnum powders like H110.

Standard load data is well within SAMMI -- straight wall cartridges in a relatively short barrel.

The primer is not going to make a big difference in pressure. Hotter ignition for slower "magnum" powders.

But I'd not use mag primers for fast pistol powders like Bullseye or Red Dot.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
What about using large pistol primers in large rifle cases?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:

I don't think that is adviceable. I am not certain on this, but remember reading that pistol primers are thinner.

And in my experience, for large rifle cases, you should use a magnum rifle primer.

A few weeks ago we got a man in here complaining he is having very slight hangfire with his 300 RUM. Sure enough, there was a definite delay between pulling the trigger and the gun firing.

It turned out he loaded his ammo using standard large rifle primers from RWS.

We pulled some of the bullets out, deprimed the cases, and re-primed them with Federal 215, and put the powder back and seated the bullets.

No more hangfire.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:

Not only are they thinner risking pierced primers, they are not the same size. Large pistol primers are not as high as large rifle primers so seat deeper in the pocket risking ignition problems to compound the piercing problems.