Find
Notify
Tools

Light loads for 270 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
xx

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Use H4895 and look at the Hodgdons reduced load information.
When my oldest son was pre teen he was recoil sensitive so I started him with reduced hunting/ practice loads in his .284 Win. 130 grain Speer's and enough H4895 to go about 2700fps and it accounted for his first Mule Deer Buck and Bull Elk.
H4895 was great for this as you could start at 60% of a regular load and work your way up to 100% as they grow more comfortable with shooting the deer rifle. Burns a little dirty at the really reduced loads but a great way to get them shooting.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Speer #10 lists reduced loads with SR4759.
100gr 16-20 gr velocity 1548-1915
130gr 20-24 gr for 1651-1998 fps
150 gr 22-26 gr for 1655-1957fps
Don't know if you have any SR 4759 available but it is close to 4227 on the burn chart and those loads should kill deer at 100 yards.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
+1 on Snellstrom's call....4895 is an extremely versatile powder and highly recommended for reduced loads

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
H4895 and you will smile

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd put a 223 in their hands.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
I have used the H4895 recipes with great success.

Bullets have been from the 85gr & 110gr TTSX/TSX, 110gr NAB, 130 and 140gr Hornady's.

Velocities from 1900-2400fps.

Accuracy has been very good and the farthest shot was about 125yards.

Very pleasant to shoot at the range, worked great in the field.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldThere is something to be said here for Sea Fire's Blue Dot loads. When used by an intelligent loader the powder is safe, the recoil minimal and the energy levels are adequate to take deer. I'm sure he will be willing to share his info. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a user and big fan of Blue Dot for reduced loads -- but only in cases the size of a .223 or smaller. When using a .270 I'd feel better with H4895.

In regard to younger/first time shooters, it tends much more to be MUZZLE BLAST than recoil that intimidates them. The reduced loads will generate somewhat less muzzle blast, but be sure that the kids are always using adequate hearing protection -- both to preserve their hearing AND to improve their shooting.

Another issue with young shooters is having a comb that is high enough. Their heads/faces are smaller, so if the comb is low it is especially difficult for them to place their faces properly on the stock and still acquire the sight picture in the scope. If necessary, use a tie-on cheek rest to get the comb high enough for them.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to Blacktailer's SR4759 loads
older IMR pamplets list max loads with the same powder.
For example max for a 130 grain bullet in a 270 is 30.5 grains of SR4759 at 2390 fps. This allows you to pick a load between 1650 and 2400 fps.

quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Speer #10 lists reduced loads with SR4759.
100gr 16-20 gr velocity 1548-1915
130gr 20-24 gr for 1651-1998 fps
150 gr 22-26 gr for 1655-1957fps
Don't know if you have any SR 4759 available but it is close to 4227 on the burn chart and those loads should kill deer at 100 yards.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I'm a user and big fan of Blue Dot for reduced loads -- but only in cases the size of a .223 or smaller. When using a .270 I'd feel better with H4895.

old This is good personal philosophy Given by a truly knowledgeable AR member.
Wink Should you choose, however, Sea Fire has derived test data that indicates that there can be safe loading of Blue Dot in cases even larger than 30-06. I have a lot of his data but none on the .270. In looking at the data for the 7X57 and 30-06 it shows that each can be loaded safely to 30-30 energy levels. This than would indicate that the .270 can perform likewise.
It's fun to explore into the unknown but each person , knowing his own limits , must answer the question , is it prudent to do so? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use BlueDot in my .338 Win Mag {among others} with great success. A 200-grain bullet at 2400 fps is a very good killer of deer and hogs - recoil is low and accuracy is wonderful. Why limit its use to .223 cases? It is just fine for much larger cases...as long as the reloader observes safe reloading practices. In my .260 it launches 100-grain bullet plenty fast enough to kill deer, no reason it wouldn't so the same in the .270.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesThe one load that I tried in the .270:
Starting Load! 130 gr. Speer PSP
22.5gr. Blue Dot
2065 fps.,
3 shot 3/4" group at 50 yds.,
Really mild., From interpolation of other cartridges My Eeker "GUESS" Eeker would be that 25gr. would still be mild and a 6.5mm. Carcano energy level could easily be reached. The punishment level should be manageable. beer roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just backing off to the starting loads will make a big difference in recoil. It may not be necessary to go all the way down to midrange loads. My kids had no trouble with 270 level recoil at 11.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Just backing off to the starting loads will make a big difference in recoil. It may not be necessary to go all the way down to midrange loads. My kids had no trouble with 270 level recoil at 11.

I have an 11 year old that is having no problem with recoil and never has, however his older brother really had an aversion to recoil at the same age, both kids raised the same as far as guns and shooting just 9 years difference in age. Oldest son now will shoot ANY rifle (416 Rigby's, .458's anything) so I am really glad I went to reduced loads for him as a youngster I feel like it has made him the rifleman he is today.
What I'm saying is there is no blueprint for kids, each has their own needs and if you help them through it they will become great shots with no bad habits.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I'm saying is there is no blueprint for kids, each has their own needs and if you help them through it they will become great shots adults with no fewer bad habits.

Your sage advice applies to most things in life.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Duane- I see the rifles built for your grandsons in the other "Custom Rifle" post.

Lord, those boys are sure lucky to have you for a Grandpa!

Build them up with some good loads with H4895 or, as some suggest, Blue Dot. They're going to love those rifles...even more so as you are thoughtful enough to get them going gently.

When they fill out later in their teens, they can start loading their own with IMR 4831 and thump their shoulders a bit.

Good Show!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to go +1 on the Blue Dot loads.
I had extensive conversations with SeaFire years ago and he PM me numerous load recipes for 223, 243 and 270 His data was spot on and at the lower starting levels it was virtually without recoil.
Have not seen him on any of the sites lately but you might be able to find him and pm him for the data.
If not, heed the previous advice posted.

Good luck,

Gary

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
What I'm saying is there is no blueprint for kids, each has their own needs and if you help them through it they will become great shots adults with no fewer bad habits.

Your sage advice applies to most things in life.

Thank you Forrest very well said.
My boys are the one thing I feel like I've done a great job on in my life.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Try 43-44 gr. of IMR 4895 or H4895 with a 110 gr. Sierra or equivalent. Muzzle velocity is around 2700-2800 fps. and is very accurate. The reduced velocity allows for good penetration with the light bullet. I use that 270 load often to whack pigs. Trajectory is like a full house 30-06/308 150 gr. load with less recoil and muzzle blast.

Killed two small running 70-80 lb. pigs with a single bullet. The pass through had sufficient energy to dispatch the second porker.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 42.5gr of IMR-8208 with the 110gr Nosler Accubond. Shoots 1/2 MOA in my Brux bbl 270.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote