Find
Notify
Tools

RL17 --- possibilities?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
Just picked up a couple of cans of RL17 and have heard good things about reduced recoil, increased velocity and reduced muzzle blast. So was wondering if anyone is having good results and the most appropriate applications for my calibers:

6.5 rem mag - don't think it will work well here since RL22 & RL25 are working so well with the 130 to 140 gr bullets, maybe with <120 gr bullets?

280AI - should be good for the 140 gr bullets. Right now I am using RL22 & RL25 with 160 gr bullets but might want to try 140's

30-06 - should be just the ticket for 165 gr & 168 gr bullets but what powder charge do you start at? Would it do as well with 180 gr bullets?

300 win mag - possibly with 165 to 180 gr bullets, what powder charge to start?

338 RUM - don't think it will work well in this one since RL25 is about right for it

375 Ruger - Now this caliber should be tailor made for this one, 260 gr Accubonds or 270 gr TSX's, what starting powder load?

I would think anywhere that IMR4350 works well, the RL17 would too and maybe give better velocity and less recoil: 30-06, 338 win mag, etc.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On another forum some shooters were running what I considered to be crazy loads in 308 and 30-06 - and getting high velocities too. Like running 200gr bullets with up to 6 grains more powder than listed for 180gr bullets on the manufacturers website.

I think that even staying within listed loads you can probably get some good results with heavy bullets in both the 308 and 30-06.

It also should be very good in the WSM's. I tried in in the 325 and got good velocities with what seemed to be a little lower pressures than the IMR-4831 I was using. After I finish off my 8lb keb of IMR-4831 I'll probably start using RL-17 in the 325. Nothing spectacular in the 270 WSM in my Sako so I stayed with Magpro in it.

When I get around to loading for 338 Win Mag it should be a natural as IMR-4350 is my normal go-to powder in it.

I forget the european designation of the powder but it's been around over there for a while. You might be able to search around and find a little more info on it.

Quickload has it in it's database...............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I've been working with Rx17 recently and it's been working out ..Ok.. in most guns. It's just a tad faster than IMR4350 with no 'exceptional' velocities. Just a good powder to work with.

Some of my initial results..
velocities 15' from muzzle
Range temp 40-45°F

.300 Win Mag
180gr Hornady Spire
70.5 grs 3023fps 2½" at 200 yds

.300 H&H Mag
165gr Hornady Interbond
67.0 grs. 2991fps 2½" at 200 yds

30/06
150gr Nos Bal-Tip
58.0 grs. 2892fps 7" at 200 yds (didnt like that one..)
165gr Sierra Spitzer BT
56.5 grs. 2710fps 3½" at 200 yds .. better
180gr Sierra Spitzer BT
54.5 grs 2603fps 1¼" at 200 yds (thats more like it..)

7mm-08 Rem (Mod 7 short barrel)
120gr Sierra Spitzer
49.0 grs 2800fps 4" at 200 yds (other powders group better..)

7x57 Ack Imp
150gr Sierra Spitzer BT
51.0 grs 2754fps get this.. 5/8" at 200 yds.
I've been trying to get this rifle tuned for a long time and this powder (Rx17) brought this thing to life!

Well that's it so far.

Just in case anyone is interested, I shot some IMR4007 a little bit. 'My' first impression is it's faster than IMR4350 and slower than IMR4064. Velocities are not as high as other powders in this burning rate class and accuracy has been mediocre.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Just picked up a couple of cans of RL17 and have heard good things about reduced recoil, increased velocity and reduced muzzle blast. ...
Hey Woods, You getting all your "Hot Info" from the Never-Never Land Board? rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is RL17 a double based powder??

quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I forget the european designation of the powder but it's been around over there for a while.

I had a guy in MT gunshop tell me the powder came from Switzerkland (or at least that was what was printed on the label). Does anybody know if this is true, and if so does anybody have a suggestion about the European designation DJ is referring to above??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried RL17 in the 338-06 yet ?

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve tried R17 in both the 7-08 with 140gr bullets and the 6.5x284 with 140gr. In each case it appears to be a tad faster then H4350 and gives similar accuracy..
I found in the 708, and in my 6.5x284 with a strain gage attached similar velocities to what I get at the same pressure levels with other powders at the same peak. The pressures do however seem to level out after peak and the area under pressure or "slope" on the graph is very noticably different and "flat".
My 7-08 reaches the same vel with IMR4007ssc as R17 and 140s at the same peak psi. IMR4350 is notably slower with Varget showing velocities in between those two at the same pressures.
The 6.5x284 hasn`t been driven to max with R17 yet to say anything for certain but, it appears I may get a little gain in velocity over H4350 and R22 with R17 in the end. R17 might be the best in this, or other slightly "overbore" cartridges like the 270 WSM or 6.5 Rem mag.
The reduced recoil claim must be dependent on the test procedure and measuring equipment used. I can`t see any difference personally, and if there is any I suspect it is less then the average shooters shoulder can determine. I`ve yet to feel any difference in the recoil of any single rifle pushing the same wgt bullet at the same vel reguardless of powder used.
JMHO.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote