THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    question on switching dies btwn LNL AP and LNL Classic

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question on switching dies btwn LNL AP and LNL Classic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When moving dies between the presses, do you have to readjust how they sit in the press or once they are locked into the bushing, will they work "as is" in either press?

Thanks,
Steve

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
They Might work. However you are betting all the machine and tolerances between both presses being the same. "Might" be on to presses of the same type and manufacturer. However between types I wouldn't bet much $$ on it.

My guess you will need to adjust a touch.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have separate die sets for my LnL AP and my Classic- it isn't so bad since I only load for two chamberings...

Gavin (aka The Ultimate Reloader) has a video on YouTube showing how to make a bushing for the LnL Classic that will enable single-die-set usage. It does require access to a lathe, however.

Personally I wish the guy (or someone) would make/sell a bushing set containing a so-called "average" bushing along with a few within a few thousandths +/- of it.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes you have to reajust them. I sure wish hornady would have had enough sense to make it otherwize.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Smale:
yes you have to reajust them. I sure wish hornady would have had enough sense to make it otherwize.

I think the original Classic was made by Pacific and Hornady bought them out; they never changed the casting except for the name. But I wholeheartedly agree that they should make the LnL Classic interchangeable with the LnL AP WRT die adjustments!!!!!!!

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, that could be done. Since any need to readjust a die depends on the body being machined to tolerances of a thou or so, ditto the toggle block, swinging arms snd hinge cross pins but they could do it. Might raise the cost of the press tho. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Funny I just ran across this post.

I actually called Hornady this past week to ask the same question. I was researching progressive presses and since I already have a LNL Single Stage, I was wondering the exact same thing.

According to them, re-adjustment IS required, the stroke is not the same between the two presses.

BTW...I ordered the Hornady AP Press.

Posts: 3 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 14 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Smale:

The problem would be w/. the shell holder thickness vs the shell plate & oress ehad thicknesses. Hornady could certainly make that the same if they needed to.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Tolerance stacking between the several components pretty much guarantees adjustment will be required, even without differences in ram height.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote