Find
Notify
Tools

loads for 7x57 cz rifle
 Login/Join

<alaskamaryann>
posted
Hi fellas
Ihave a new cz 550 american in 7x57 mauser and would appreciate some recipes, with hornady 154 gr. round nose and nosler 160 gr. partitions.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I load around 48 gr of IMR-4350 a Remingtion Nickel Case and a 160 gr Speer Nosler Partition or Fail Safe bullets. You will need to start a few grains low. My 7 x 57 is also a Brno ZKK 600. The barrel has be blackstarred so my rifle is safe with that load. Also it will group five shots in way less than an inch too. Or you could be real lazy and work up a load using a 175 gr Nosler Partition. 45 to 47 gr should do the trick and not worry about anything.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
HI: I own the exact same rifle with a Leupold VariX-1 scope in 4x12 power, got the Talley Rings, glassbedded the action, free floated the barrel, refinished the stock, jewelled the bolt and polished the bolt handle. It is exactly as I want it now. Now to the good parts. The CZ 550 series have a 1x8.66 twist barrel, so the 160 gr. partition is just about ideal. I have a load at 48.3 grains of H414 that will shoot .75 inch at 100 yard groups and will jump out the barrel at 2,835 fps. That same load with Hornady 162 grain SST bullets gives me a velocity of 2,815 fps and groups that average about .45 inch. Up the powder charge to 48.9 grains of H414 with the SST and I get groups that go .216 to .333 inches (honest to God!) and these puppies are traveling 2,866 fps. I don't know what the partition will do with 48.9 grains as I haven't tried it yet. With my rifle, I have to seat the bullet so the ogive is .01 inch off the barrel's lands. The only bullets that I can do this with in this rifle are the SSTs and the 160 gr. Nosler Partition. You will note, however, that the cartridge looks funny as hell. There is a whole lot of bullet sticking out the end of the case mouth. With the Hornady SST, the canlure is way, way out there, looks to be about .303 inch off the case mouth. Good luck with your rifle. It is one hell of a rifle and one hell of a caliber. I'm on my way to Texas next month for a pig hunt. Will be using the 162 grain SSTs and 48.9 grains of H414 powder. Tom Purdom [Big Grin]

[ 07-13-2003, 09:17: Message edited by: thomas purdom ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a Ruger 77 with a long throat, I have loaded 160 Noslers with 50.5 gr H414 and a CCI 250 primer in a Federal or Winchester case. In my rifle it goes 2817 fps and it killed a big kudu bull and oryx with a shot each earlier this year. I just looked at my records OAL is 3.142 in., so if yours is shorter throated, you won't need this much H414. In a 7x57 always try H414 first.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote