Find
Notify
Tools

244 (6mm) Ackley Fireforming loads?
 Login/Join

Picture of Al Smith
posted
Hello,

I'm looking for some ideas for fireforming loads for my .244 Ackley. This is my first Ackley cartridge so any tips will be welcome. Is it better to use heavier bullets to fireform, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks!

Posts: 17 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Just put 6mm Remington cartridges in the Ackley and pull the trigger.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Al, I load for a 243 ai40* and use a stout load of imr4350 60gr bullets shoots between 1/2and 3/4" groups at 100yds.
The sholders are sharp and the case is formed very good.
I also plan to use these for varmints.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
all my ackelys are fireformed by taking a heavy pill,..seating it so it is maybe .005-.010" INTO the lands (requires some slight pressure to close the bolt) and a middle of the road charge of one of the faster powders listed for the parent case and that bullet weight. My cases come out very sharp and perfectly formed THE FIRST TIME,..and accuracy is usually 1/2moa in all 3 of them during forming.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Same for me, except Remington cases usually take two shots to fully form - that is if they don't crack at the shoulder on the first firing.

Winchester cases form much easier in my rifle, I use 100 grain cheapies to fireform.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fireball,

Have you had this experience with Remington in recent time, such as with their new bags of 50?

I have always prefered Remington, especially when fireforming because I have always found them to be a bit softer than Winchester.

-Spencer