New
Find
Notify
Tools

585 Nyati Loads for 650 grain Woodleigh
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have loads for the 585 Nyati (Bertram brass 2.83" case) and the 650 grain Woodleigh. Ideally, I would like to achieve between 2150 and 2270 fps. Any help is greatly appreciated, since this baby is expensive to feed.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I'm going to do this...

Why don't you go over to the big bores forum, you know the one where you have a big fan club, and ask there? PC, from "down under" has one, he can probably help you out.

Of course, it begs the question, since you think everyone on this board makes up stuff and lies, why would you want load data from us?

Won't your computer program tell you the best load info?

Or is this just a test?

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Bertram Brass and AR2209 (close to IMR 4350 I think). I use the woodleigh 650 gr Black Powder .577 bullet. I load 150 gr of the said powder and I use Fed 215m primers. I do not own a chronograph but I THINK that I am getting around 2400 fps maybe closer to 2500 fps.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hey PC
(grin) sell your muzzlebrake for scrap wieght!!! you can certainly get a chrono!!

seriously, though... here's the little, "highly inaccurate" shooting chrony... you know, the one that will only do 1/2 of 1% error...;for 50 bucks US
http://chrony.ca/sc_mc-MV.html item 105

cheers
jeffe

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

Thanks, I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

1.) What kinda of groups are you getting?

2.) More importantly how is your extraction with that good old Bertram brass?

3.) What is the water capacity of your Bertram brass?

I realize the last one is a bit of work, but if you don't mind I would really appreciate it. If you are wondering why I asked this question, send me a PM and I will explain. My cases average 183.4 grains with an extreme spread of ~ 5 grains.

By the way, I would expect 150grains to be closer to 2500 fps.

Thanks again,
ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

Thank you, but this is the "Reloading" forum and I would prefer not to be attacked for posting in the wrong forum. You must understand that things work somewhat differently when you are the ASS_CLOWN.

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Do you have any idea what the velocities / group sizes are for the load data on you site?

By the way, thank you.

ASS_CLOWN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best group I have got is about 2.5" @ 90 paces which s about as good as I can shoot it. My mate has shot a 1.5" group with his .585 (same action/barrel as mine).

The Bertram brass has worked fine for me in the .585...no sticky problems although I got a bit of stick in some test loads at 155gr of powder. My friend also got a bit of stick with 150 gr of powder behind the 750 gr woodleigh's.

I remember doing the water thing a while back and got 185 gr of water or there abouts.

I have shifted to the city in a smaller house and all my reloading gear is still boxed up.

Jeffo, thanks for the tip on the chrono mate. One day I will get one...whenm I stop buying rifles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

2209 is what Hodgdon sell as H4350. The burn rate is very close to IMR 4831, say close to 2 grains slower than IMR 4350 in a 270 size case so maybe 4 or 5 grains slower at the 585 level of charges.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike,

Hows your weatherby's coming along mate ??