New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barns TSX in 7MM-08
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been reading so much about the accuracy of the Barns TSX bullets that I'm thinking seriously about giving them a try in my Rem 700 Mtn LSS 7mm-08.

I figure that I can get an easy 2,850 FPS muzzle velocity out of my 22" barrel, and the trajectory at this velocity matches closely to my Burris Ballistic Plex Reticle.

My concern is if they will open up enough. Do you think that the 140Grn TSX would open up enough at these 7mm-08 velocities?

Muzzle....2,850 FPS
100 Yds...2,641 FPS
200 Yds...2,442 FPS
300 Yds...2,251 FPS

Thanks

firstshot
-------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the same....

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've never had a tripe shock fail to open. I shot a jackal at close range and a kudu at 315 yards with my .338, plus a bunch of other critters at ranges in between. All evidence (recovered bullets, wound channels, exit wounds) indicated the bullets performed flawlessly. TSXs out of my .257 AI and my dad's .270 WSM perform the same, whether at close range, high velocity or long range, slower velocity. As I recall, the velocities you post are well within the performance envelope of the TSX. Take 'em hunting and you'll see Big Grin

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, 140 grain XLCs out of my 6.5x55 perform just as good, and it's probably chugging them out there just a bit slower than your 7mm-08.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Shot four deer with the 140 TSX last year out of my 7mm-08, all shots opened up and the the deer that ran the most only made it 50 yards.

Try H4350 (47-50 grains). Right now my best load is with CCI200 primers but the Winchester WLR is hotter and requires less powder/same velosity. Still testing with the WLR.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Here's a 30 cal 168 TSX that came from the soft, loamy, moist soil behind my 400 yard target. It started at 2,855 fps from my 30-06 and would have impacted at 2,075 fps. It weighs 167.7 gr's and opened to just over .600" diameter. The impact velocity of the 140 TSX / 7mm-08 would be nearly identical.

One of Us
Picture of jocamp64
posted Hide Post
Ty Herring, Customer Service Director of Barnes Bullets said "The 7mm X, XLC, and TSX Bullets all require a minimum impact velocity of 1800fps for expansion."

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets." George S Patton.

Posts: 38 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 20 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys!

I'll give them a try.

firstshot
------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had great success with my 7mm08 with Varget and H4250EXT. The H4350 is compressed and the Varget is not. 44.5 grains of varget pushing a 140TSX is averaging 2825 in a 20 inch barrel.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote