THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Diving into the uncharted waters of the .270 Winchester

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diving into the uncharted waters of the .270 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never owned a 270 before, so reloading for this cartridge is new to me. If I recall, 4831 is THE powder to use- IMR or Hodgdon?
Any other "Go-to" powders. I will be using W/W brass, Federal primers, and (probably) Sierra 130 gr softpoints. Not looking to win any benchrest matches, just want a nice, accurate deer load. Also, I'm not looking at the super-premium bullets as cost will be a factor and ND deer aren't bulletproof.

Thanks,

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
H4350, H4831sc, RL22...

one of us
posted Hide Post
SBB: 130gr Sierra with 55gr of IMR4350 has been a tack driver in my 270 since 1962. Good luck!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My load is 57.0 gr. of Rldr-22, a Fed. GM-210 M match primer and a 150 gr. Partition. Seat the bullet 0.010" off the ogive. Gives me 2937 fps off the chrono and consistant groups at slightly under an inch. When sighted in +3.0" at 100 yds., it's still almost +3" at 200 and down about 3 5/8" at 300. This in a pre-64 mod. 70 and a 2-7x Leupold scope.
I know most guys on the board think of deer hunting but my frame of mind is on sheep, caribou & moose thus my use of a 150 gr. bullet. Good luck and enjoy. Later, Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, H4831 has always been the powder of choice with the .270. The new short cut version is also a good choice, as is IMR 7828 SSC. Reloader 22 (spec Norma MRP) should also be good, but buy plenty of one lot as it is prone to wide lot-to-lot variations.

A lot of people use it, but IMR 4350 is tad to fast in the .270 for my tastes.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
viht N-165 works very well too.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Bon Bon:
I have never owned a 270 before, so reloading for this cartridge is new to me. If I recall, 4831 is THE powder to use- IMR or Hodgdon?
Any other "Go-to" powders. I will be using W/W brass, Federal primers, and (probably) Sierra 130 gr softpoints. Not looking to win any benchrest matches, just want a nice, accurate deer load. Also, I'm not looking at the super-premium bullets as cost will be a factor and ND deer aren't bulletproof.

Thanks,

SBB

Uncharted??? There are probably more loads in existence for the .270 Win. than any other round except for the .30/'06!

The 4831 to use in the .270 is the old, surplus Hodgdon powder originally referred to as "4350 DATA powder", which today only exists in the hoards of some of us really old reloaders!

Next to it would be current H4831. Re22 is also good.

However, my "go-to" powder for the .27o Win. has been, since about 1964, IMR 4350. 55.5 grains of it with the 130-grain Nosler Partition bullet in WW brass with Federal 210 primers, or 53.5 grains of it with the Nosler 150-grain Partition bullet, same primers & brass.

Have fun! The .270 is in the top five world's greatest cartridges (my personal list.....) clap

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super Bon Bon, Just called Sierra Bullets and talked to a guy by the name of Paul Box he said, Reloader #22 from 52.5 to 58.0 Remington or Winchester brass, and Remington primer 9 1/2 with the 130 gr. GameKing. Just thought I would pass it along. 6.5 Swede.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
My 270 Win likes the 130 gr Hornady interlock with 58grs of IMR 4831 , Rem case and a CCI 250 primer. Vel is 2990 ft/sec in my 22" tube and accuracy is 1.150" at 100 yds. Good deer load.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself an up to date reloading manual!
My loads for a 270 Winchester go back into the 70's.
I used H-4831. You might start with something like 56.0 grains and work up....

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uncharted waters with a .270? I thought you had something new, like a radical new bullet. Jack O'Connor blazed the handloading trail for this round over half a century ago, and there's little new since then. A stiff charge of H4831, IMR4350, or N205 (old hoard powder) driving a 130 grain bullet at 3000 fps is the preferred fodder for every .270 I have tried. In fact, the only complaints I can think of with the .270 WCF are (1) the excessive meat damage and (2) reloading the .270 is Boring Boring!!
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot AA 3100 in my BDL. 60 grains behind a 130 GS or Nosler Solid Base, 58 grains if I am going to load 150 grain bullets. Different primers (all standard large rifle; Accurate doesn't recommend using magnum primers) don't seem to make any difference, and I have used brass from all three major manufacturers with no noticeable difference.

IMO, the .270 is a good cartridge for the beginner to load. It is accurate, and performs well with quite a few different powders. No wonder it is a classic!!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 4350 w/ Barnes TSX or Nosler Partition, depending on the rifle. Clocks 3074 fps as measured 10' from the muzzle of my 22" barrel. Have tried several other powders and a few different bullets, and I stick with these 2 loads.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4831 is o'k, but I prefer H-414, H-450, or RL-22

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4831 is always a safe bet for the .270 and is where I would start. Other excellent powders I have worked with 130s in the .270 are IMR-4831, RL-19, RL-22, Ramshot Hunter, and Accurate Magpro. H-4831 does not necessarily deliver the highest velocity of the bunch, but has always provided consistent results lot to lot and is temp insenstive. Depending on the rifle, max charges have been 58-60gr of H-4831.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Super Bon Bon: I have loaded for many Rifles in caliber 270 Winchester over the past 4 decades. I think I have come upon a fantastic loading that is both amazingly accurate and amazingly lethal on Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer, Coyotes and Antelope!
My loading uses the Federal cases, the Federal 210M primers, Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tip bullets and H 4831SC powder!
Ooohhhh... the stories I could tell!
Suffice for now though - please just heed my STRONG recommendation for you to try the Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tips. And if you don't like them I will buy them off of you AND I will pay the shipping!
Be sure to try these Noslers - I am convinced they are well worth every penny I pay for them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around 60 grains of H4831 with a 130 grain bullet is a consistently good load in a .270. This is just one of those that seems to work in all of them and would be the first I'd try if starting with a .270.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
Around 60 grains of H4831 with a 130 grain bullet is a consistently good load in a .270. This is just one of those that seems to work in all of them and would be the first I'd try if starting with a .270.

I agree with jstevens and if you choose you can experiment with the idea of increasing the H4831 load up to 62.0 grains using Winchester brass as it seems to have a greater capacity than most brass. Again each rifle is different and needs it's own recipe but I have been able to work up this load in 3 .270's and top them off with a 130 Nosler Ballistic Tip with great results on mule deer and elk. I've entertained thoughts of using the Accubond in the .270 but that comes only in a 140 grain, I believe and the above formula would have to be reduced to handle that bullet. My sons have been using that Accubond bullet with great results.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One reason for all the info here is that the .270 is a great cartridge and is not picky about what you feed it. Just about any applicable powder can be worked to be accurate and fast.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that loads his 270 rounds
by dumping H4831 in a bowl and just fills
the cases by scooping up the powder in the
cases and levels the powder off at the top
of the neck. Seats a 130 grain bullet on
it and done. Will shoot 1 MOA in
his guns without excessive pressure.

I've always used 61 grains of H4831 (measured
I might add) under a 130 grain Nosler PT.

I don't think you can dream up a better powder
for the 270 than H4831. 100% loading density
at standard pressure. And accurate.

I've seen nothing better yet than O'Connor's
load.

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
H4831 has darn sure been accurate in the 270s I've tried it in.

It's not fast by any means but gives great accuracy.

R22 has given me much more velocity from the round but, accuracy hasn't been quite as good as the H4831.

I'm taking a 270 for a back-up rifle on my mulie and elk hunt this fall. H4831 pushing the 140 Nosler Accubonds at 2820 fps. Shoots darn good. Probably will not get to use it but, I'll be confident w/ it shall the need arise. May knock a whitetail in the shoulder w/ that combo when November rolls around.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote