New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm 150 grn Scirocco
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've recently been trying to develop a load for this bullet in my Rem Mag using H4831SC and Rel 22 without success. The H4831SC was looking promising at one stage with a couple of groups almost key holing but then sending a flyer out. Bullets were on the lands. I could not repeat the key hole performance later the same day and subsequent groups opened to as much as 2". I then reverted to a 150 grn Ballistic Tip load which I knew would go easily into 3/4" as a check - no problems. Returning to the Sciroccos resulted in more 2" groups or worse.

Having done a search on previous threads it seems my experience is not unusual. Someone has blamed the Scirocco performance on the fact that it is designed with a secant ogive as opposed to a tangent ogive. Can any of you explain the difference? Also has anyone had success with this bullet and powder combination?

As a separate issue can anyone tell me which powder Federal uses in their 7mm Rem Mag Premium 160 grn Partition load?

Thanks

Posts: 89 | Location: Nantwich, England | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This bullet is the only one that has ever opened up in my rifle due to copper fouling.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they shoot real good in my rifle and my rifle is a bugger for fouling.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent luck with accuracy in the 7 stw with Imr7828 80.5gr. They have done the best at long range shooting, less drop than any other 150gr bullet Ive tried. But they do have a long bearing surface so you can not load them the same as to most of the 150gr bullets. There is more pressure with them. In my 7 mag they shoot best with H4831 between 65.2 to 67.1grs. Keep you're barrel clean

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bambam

When at the range I normally patch through every 12 or 15 rounds. Do you think the fouling issue is that critical? I'm coming round to thinking I'll give Accubonds a try and stick with the Ballistic Tips or Sierras for the timebeing. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to get my hands on any Accubonds until July time when I'll be visiting one of our leading gamefairs.

Can anyone tell me what the Swift manual recommends for this bullet using either H4831SC or Rel 22.

Thanks

Posts: 89 | Location: Nantwich, England | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote