Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reloading the 340 Weatherby Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yankees1,

I have a .340wby in the Mark V Accumark rifle. My hunting load this last year was RL 19-91grs, Fed GM215M primer, Groove bullet 206gr bullet and Wby/Norma brass. I could consistently get the load to touch all 3 shots together..I've also shot the Barnes X 225, and the Northfork 225 gr and the TBBC 225 and they've all shot under and inch. The only thing I've noticed with my gun is that it doesn't shoot boat tail bullets that well. It definately prefers the flat bases bullet. Good luck

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yankess1: 4350 is not an optimum powder to use with most of the WBY cartridges. H-4831 is better, but better still are RL-22 and of course Norma MRP. I don't have the Weatherby Guide in front of me right now, but I'll post some loads for you soon. Also, try and use 250gr HDY Spire Points if you can. What the other guys said are also good tips. Weatherbys are very accurate rifles,but they are an anathema to the bench-rest/paper puncher crowd for the most part. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having loaded the 180 gr p.p. in various .300s, XBT's and partitions in .270, and partitions in .340 as well as in .338 U.M., I have had very good results with IMR 7828 and Nosler's partition bullet.
IMR 4350 was the powder of choice when Roy started with the .270 W.M., but I think it's on the fast side of things today. I also like the Reloader series of powders, but have been disappointed in their lot-to-lot consistency. This is a problem I've never had with IMR powders excluding the surplus stuff.
As for .338 calibre my best luck has always revolved around Nosler's 210/250 grain partition bullets. IMHO this is the way to go if your shooting anything larger than deer.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yankess1: Try this load with a 250gr Nosler Partition or Hornady:
84.9gr Norma MRP
Weatherby cases
Fed 215 Primers
OAL: 3.593

This is a "duplicate factory load" out of the old Weatherby guide and it prints to the same POI as factory fodder loaed with the same bullets described above. I get .65" (Nosler) and .85" with the Hornady SP. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had real good luck with H4831 in my 340 weatherby. I found that a flat base bullet was the only way that I could get consistant groups. My loads also exceed the Hodgdon recommend Max loads. I could not get good accuracy with the lower powder charges. I always start at the bottom and work my way up and constantly check for signs of pressure. I am shooting a 225 gr.Nosler Partition around 3175 fps with pretty consistant 1' groups. The only complaint is the recoil of the 340 weatherby.
Scott J

Posts: 978 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
87.5 Gr. RE 22 powder with a Hornady 225 Gr. SP bullet, and Fed 215 primer will group one inch in my 340 W . Shot two elk with this load. This load has a lot of free bore.

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off good luck with your 340, I love the round and have been a big time user and shooter of it for about 15 years. I'm on my 4th tube and I've found it to be one of the most accurate rounds going.

A couple of things make sure everything on it is tight and that the bore is good and clean. You didn't say if it was new or used when you got it.

All of my tubes have been on 700 or 70 actions and all of them cut without the freebore. All of the tubes have been Schneiders and cut anywhere between 23" to 26".

I prefer Fed 215's for primers but have used a ton of Rem 9 1/2 M's over the years as well, personally I'd not sweat the primers tons.

For cases I used to make my cases out of 375 H& H or 8 rem mag cases. I've since abandonded that practice and just use Wby all the time now.

Powders, I've found a pile of them to work well. I suppose that R22 is on the top of my fav pile but have used all of these as well with good results ( H4831, R19, IMR 7828, IMR 4350, R25)

Now about yoru freebore on the Wby I've been more of a few of Wby rifles and while I love their rounds I honestly cannot say that I am fan of how they chamber their rifles. I've seen way to many problem childs for the shooters that look for good accuracy and in a consistent manner. But, that would not slow me down one bit in working with your rifle and I would try every thing I know to make it shoot. You may find a load and there may be a day where you say it is time to get this thing retubed.. only time and effort will tell on this one.

As for bullets I've worked with the 160's to the 300's. I'll give you the short list of ones I've found that worked consistently for me over the years.

180 Noz BT

200 Noz BT

200 Horn

210 Noz PT (not as accurate as most others but it works)

225 Horn

225 Speer BT

225 Noz Pt

225 Speer GS

225 Accubond

250 Horn

250 Horn RN

250 Sierra BT

250 Nozler

250 Speer GS

250 X

250 Sierra MK

275 Speer

275 Swift

300 Sierra MK

You'll note a lot of these bullets are boatails so I personally believe you have just as much a chance of making a BT sing as the FB.

I believe you can find a load that works, it may just take a bit of time to get to know your rifles (in terms of how to hold it, clean it etc...).

Good luck and feel free to let me know if I could be of anymore assistence to you.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

As for accuracy I would totally expect a 340 to be capable of sub MOA, all of the ones that I've worked with have been so without much work. I've worked with probably besides my own I would guess 5 more tubes on various friends guns (all were set up the way that mine are)

For what it is worth my first tube would put 5 of the 250 Horns into under .75" on a very regular basis. Not a bad varminter and oh yeah I have shot my share of PD's/yotes and chucks with the 340, it'll do just fine...

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote