Notify
Tools

Another Infant Reloader........
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted
Hello All,

New to the AR Forum and really glad I found it. I've been lurking for quite some time to try and absorb all of the info that is available here. I have finally received some of the first (of many) components - Redding Boss Pro-Pak, to get me started. I will be reloading .17FB, .223, .25-06, and .308 calibers, which are the extent of rifles I currently own. My first batch of many questions being a new reloader is:

Best reloading manual?
Best brand of "economical" case trimmers?
Best primer pocket uniformers?
Best flash hole de-burring tools?

Thanks for any info.

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manual - Hornady eighth edition
Pocket uniformer - Sinclair with electric screwdriver attachment
Flash hole deburring - RCBS

Hornady dies are hard to beat for the price and utility...

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR--where you're sure to learn even more than you bargained for.

To answer your questions:

Best reloading manual?

All of them. I have all of them. But I'm a book geek, and I want all the information. You should have the current manual for the bullet you are loading and, if the powder manufacturer publishes data, their data for the powder you are using. All .308 150 grain bullets are not the same. And there's no reason to use Hornady data for the Nosler bullet. If you don't have a particular manual yet, ask us. One of us probably does.

I use the RCBS manual trimmer. It works pretty well though I want a powered one. I bought RCBS because that's what my father-in-law used.

I have the RCBS because that's what my father-in-law used.

Best flash hole de-burring tool

I don't bother with this,so I can't help you. I've heard that the first firing resolves any issue there might be with burrs anyway.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard,

The only bad question is the one not asked.

In my opinion,

Manual- Lyman or Sierra

The more the better. You almost can't have too many manuals. I probably have a dozen easy, but those 2 will get you started off well.

Case trimmer- Don't know how "economical" you're referring to, but The RCBS will come with the shell holders and pilots you need to do the calibers you listed.

Primer pocket Uniformer- I have one from Sinclairs. If you are loading for regular factory type hunting rifles, you are wasting your time "uniforming" primer pockets in my opinion. You'll never see the difference in your groups.

If you're loading for a full blown custom benchrest gun, then sure, go for it.

Flash hole deburring tool- I use the Lyman, but it won't work for 17 cal. You'll probably need a second tool for 17 cal.

OK, next? Ask away.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate the help. Like most everyone else, I am looking at saving money (eventually) on ammo, and trying to wring out the best accuracy that I can. Most advice that I've read consists of buying the best components you can afford to save money in the long run, but I do feel there are a lot of lower-priced brands that will perfectly meet my needs. I am not a competitive shooter by any means, and use all of my guns mainly for hunting everything from prairie dogs to elk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re: maunuals.
Start with Sierra, but you need several. Add Barnes, Hornady, maybe Vita Vouhri, depending on what you shoot. When comparing different manuals, you will soon see that they each ahve their biases on powder and bullet selection.
Regarding primer pocket tools, I use them mainly to clean the powder residue to assure good primer seating. They are all good.

I would suggest that you subscribe to "Precision Shooting", and get the Sinclair caalog. The Midway catalog is also helpful. You can learn a lot from catalogs.

Develop a good record keeping system,

Just few thoughts. Good luck.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have many loading manuals some as old as 50 years old. I cross reference several of them to arrive at starting loads.
In general I find Speer and Lyman to be the most useful, followed by Hornady.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
Thanks again! What do you guys think about the K&M case prep tools? They seem to be lower in cost than a lot of the bigger name brands. Also, and I have not yet tried it out, my press is equipped with a primer arm. From what I have read, is it useless? Do I need a hand priming tool?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Boom,

Welcome aboard!

Reloading Manual:
Pick one brand name from a bullet/powder manufacturer; Sierra, Nosler, Speer, etc. and other could perhaps be "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" by M.L. McPherson. Don't know what volume it's going on now but it has alot of equipment & how-to questions & answer including much loading data.

Case Trimmers:
For Starters I always reco the Lee Case Length Gauges. Inexpensive, cartridge specific and help with dexterity, too. Use an Electric Screwdriver.

Primer Pocket Uniformer:
Like others I prefer the Sinclair. Never wears out (tungsten) and use it as a Cleaner, also. Some call this hog-wash; gotta make up your own mind.

Primer Tool:
I despise the Primer Widgets that are included on a Press. They're O.K. if you're starting & have nothing else to use and if like you say; you're on a Budget something better suited can wait a while. You'll soon get tired of the F*****g thing anyway. Any of the current crop of Hand Primer Tools are just fine. I use a RCBS Primer Tool that was purchased prior their current outrageous price. I personally can't be bothered with plastic strips - just another step in the Grand-Scheme-of-Things that takes forever & adds (IMO=talk is cheap) no value. Never pierced or detonated a primer in the countless thousands I've loaded.

I've got a Lyman Flash Hole Deburring Tool; This is the one that is actually better than the Sinclair model.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Reloading and don't hesitate to ask questions if you've got'em.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerry. All of the info you guys have provided has been a great help. I don't have the luxury of purchasing anything reloading-wise I need locally, so most of my purchases will be through mail order. I do have a Wal-Mart nearby that does stock a limited number of RCBS supplies though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hornaday dies suck !

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do have a Wal-Mart nearby that does stock a limited number of RCBS supplies though.

Wow! WalMart around here dropped reloading stuff years and years ago.

quote:
Regarding primer pocket tools, I use them mainly to clean the powder residue to assure good primer seating.

Good point. For hunting rifles I only worry about getting the gunk out to seat the next one.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoomRM:
Hello All,

New to the AR Forum and really glad I found it. I've been lurking for quite some time to try and absorb all of the info that is available here. I have finally received some of the first (of many) components - Redding Boss Pro-Pak, to get me started. I will be reloading .17FB, .223, .25-06, and .308 calibers, which are the extent of rifles I currently own. My first batch of many questions being a new reloader is:

Best reloading manual?
Best flash hole de-burring tools?

Thanks for any info.

The best reloading equipement and manuals are those you LOVE MOST! If you like Red, it would be Red. If it is Green, it would be Green. Nevertheless there is something good in every brand. Find the best combination for you!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best reloading equipement and manuals are those you LOVE MOST! If you like Red, it would be Red. If it is Green, it would be Green. Nevertheless there is something good in every brand. Find the best combination for you!

Hey Boom .....

Re-270's correct.

I've a whole batch of mix & match stuff RCBS, Hornday, Lee, Lyman, Sinclair - I'm a Brand Loyalty Vagabond; just buy what works. All the different manufacturers offer something that is real value for money and a better mouse trap than the other.

As for Dies I've got 38 sets and Guess What? They're all RCBS 'cept for 1 Lyman & 1 Lee. I've only ever had one issue w/RCBS and that was a Small Base Die in a F/L Die Set that was marked F/L Die. They promptly replaced it free of charge.

I agree if you pick up some anciliarly Bits & Pieces at Wally-World do it!

Midway, Natchez, Midsouth; check 'em out & their prices, too!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Hornady, Sierra are good starts
Wilson trimmer
K&M primer pocket tools
Lee, RCBS or K&M hand held priming tool
Redding dies

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote