THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    ckecking for case seperations. Share your secrets

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ckecking for case seperations. Share your secrets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've tried using the scrape the inside of the case for signs of case seperations with a sharp pin etc, but I can't
say that I can really feel any difference.
Please share your methods. Is there a better way of doing this than the old scrape and feel method.
Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
robz

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scraping is about the best way to check for potential case head separations. Make sure you are running the point all the way to the base and up about a 1/4 of the way of the case. This way you will not miss the bump. Be sure to rotate the case after each pass of the point because case head separations tend to be more apparent on one side. Try running the point over the area at varying speeds. I find that a somewhat fast pace tends to make the separation point more noticeable.

You can wait until you notice a shiny ring partially or completely around the case head (about where your FL sizer stops sizing), but to me, this is too late. The potential for a separated head in this situation is high and could potentially leave you with the head extracted and the case in the chamber. Basically you are screwed until you can remove the body of the case. On the other side of it, all that pressure escapes and has to go somewhere. Most likely the gas will be partially vented into the eyes.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Put a cutting wheel in your dremel and sacrifice a case.

The wire method works, but it takes a little experience to get the feel, as well as a sharp point. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a bent paper clip with a rounded end, because I have been afraid that a sharp end would catch. Since I have never used a sharp end, I don't know that my fear is well founded.

Nowadays, I use an altered mini-Maglite. The ones that take 2 AA cells are probably fine, but I happen to use one that takes two AAA cells. I soldered a piece of insulated wire to each lead of the bulb, said wire being the same diameter as that of the leads on the bulb. I then twisted the two wires together for some distance (6" may be handiest, perhaps a bit less), then cut the wires (to 6") and stripped probably a quarter inch of insulation from each wire. I insert each wire end into where the bulb goes, and now I have a very bright light which can easily illuminate the inside of the case without obstructing my view. I simply inspect every rifle case visually every time.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A sharp edge or point gives the best feel for checking the indentation.And I use a nut pick with an edge sharpened
onto it in the direction of the curve of the end of the pick.Being stiff gives better feel than wire or paper
clips.Once you feel an indent, is is always best to section
case once in a while to correlate the feel, with the visual and actual measured thinning.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife had a spare otoscope (ear-looker-inner) from her practice that works well for checking cases. Look on ebay. There are some inexpensive models out there. You don't need the fancy Welch-Allyn with all the bells and whistles.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same "issue" as to feel when use a pin or paper clip, etc. I purchased an RCBS Case Master which among other things will give you an indication of case head separation. It has a "hooked" arm you put in the case an set the guage against the case. It is more accurate in showing deviations ie case head separation as is actually measures the inside of the case. This is a very useful tool. You can look on the RCBS web site and get information. They will also send you a manual on it so you can see what it will do...or at least they did this for me.

Other manufacturers make similiar tools, however, the RCBS tool seems to offer more flexibility and will measure large cases.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks.
robz

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My wife had a spare otoscope (ear-looker-inner) ....

Hey John, First time I've seen that idea and it is absolutely excellent! Thank You!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recono,
What is it that you are looking for on the inside ? Is it an actual crack? If not , what are the signs to look for?
robz

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The beginning of separation shows a slight depression, a dip in the road if you will. It's more pronounced on one side so you have to look all the way around. The actual beginning of the crack is hard to spot because it's covered with soot from the burnt powder. I tried inspection with a borescope and didn't care for it. Too hard to spot anything, takes too long, and there is a much better way.

I think that high tech tool, the straightened and bent paper clip is by far the best means of inspection. I use a dental pick. These are usually available free from your friendly dentist, but also available at gun shows.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Recono,
What is it that you are looking for on the inside ? Is it an actual crack? If not , what are the signs to look for?
robz

I'm not Recono, but you are looking for a partial or full "ring" around the circumference of the inside of the case near the head that is lower than the surrounding material (like a trough around the inside of the case near the bottom of the interior).

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Bob338,

Sorry, you posted while I was composing . Good description.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
To sum up the correct posts above one can feel inside the case with a wire bent at the end into a tiny right angle hook. It does not matter much if it's sharp or not. Just file an edge and get used to it.

Turn the case as mentioned above as they are always worse on one side. Cases can be used over and over with some thinning. Hopefully you have corrected the problem however as excessive headspace can wreck a case fast.

The thing to do when you get concerned over a insipiant separation is to cut that case in half. They usually don't look all that bad when you can see them like that. Now you have a standard.

This is particulary a good idea with belted cases as they take a wack on the first shot and hang in there, if sized right, and last for maybe ten shots after that. No sense throwing them out as they will all get stretched some at first.

I made a feeler wire from a section of a coat hanger. When I loose it I will make another.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To be honest about it, over the years, I have had so few seperations that I don't worry too much about it. Unless you are setting your shoulders back every time you reload or reworking your brass excessively in some other manner, I think you'll start having neck splits before you get case seperations.
I buy my brass in lots of 100 or more and the lot is considered as a unit in that all of the brass in the unit will be fired before I start over again. They are all trimmed at the same time, f/l resized at the same time, etc. When I start getting frequent neck splits, I chunk the whole batch and start with another. If I were to get a case seperation, I'd take a couple of other cases from that lot and split them lengthwise and see if the seperation was a an isolated event or if I needed to trash the whole batch.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Excellent point! Providing you don't shoot belted magnums. Many who do shoot the belted magnums experience case separation in as few as 3 reloads. Coaxing many more reloads than just a few, can be a bit of a chore and requires constant checking.

I've NEVER experienced even the beginning of a case separation in ANY non-belted case. In the belted cases the problem is, there is no standard for the measurement of the case head to the shoulder since the case headspaces on the belt. The gap between the case and the chamber shoulder can be as big as .030", and seldom less than .014". Never have I ever been able fireform a belted case in such a manner as to prevent that initial stretch in the body of the case near the web which is the beginning of what will ultimately be the separation. For those reading this thread who aren't concerned with belted cases, it's really a reach to think they will separate. I don't recall EVER checking a non-belted case as it just doesn't happen without serious headspace problems.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pictures of a case head separation. This was a rimmed case (obviously ) from a double, but the brass was undersized and the chamber was larger than the shoulder area of the dies. This occurred after the first reload. One of these cases actually separated completely, leaving the front part in the chamber on ejection.

With properly dimensioned brass I have been getting several reloads with no signs of incipient separation (I also backed off as far as possible on the sizing die to leave the shoulder as large as it could be under the circumstances).

The first pic shows how the brass thins in the area of the incipient separation. The second shows the groove or trough around the inside of the case a little better.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
robz,

Others have already answered well. Note that they have reminded that we must look at the whole circumference.

I have not had any case thinning that I can see, much less separation. I do not use belted cases.

BTW, the wire that I use is a single strand from telephone cable. It is the right size in both copper (fits bulb socket) and insulation (thin).

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Excellent point! Providing you don't shoot belted magnums. Many who do shoot the belted magnums experience case separation in as few as 3 reloads. ....

It is rare that I disagree with Bob338, but I do on this issue. I ran a Test once using three Remington 7mmRemMag cases with a Full Power Load of IMR-4831 and 150gr bullets to see how long the cases would last. I got 33 reloads out of each case before I saw the first Neck Split. Had I annealed as I went along,it is anyone's guess as to how many more reloads I could have gotten from them. Maybe one, maybe 33 more.

That said, I don't have Head Separations on Non-Belted cases either. I've always used Partial-Full Length Resizing(P-FLR) and that obviously has a lot to do with my excellent case life. I know Bob338 well enough to know he uses "some" Neck Sizing and perhaps his "Bumping the shoulder back" occasionally creates a problem.

I do understand his concern about the "stretch" on the initial firing. But, for whatever the reason it just hasn't been a problem for me.

Oh yes, if you want to see Head Separations on a Non-Belted case, get a M99 Savage in a 243Win, 300Sav, 308Win, 284Win, 7mm-08 or 358Win and reload for it at near MAX Loads. You will see Non-Belted Casehead Separations.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Excellent point! Providing you don't shoot belted magnums. Many who do shoot the belted magnums experience case separation in as few as 3 reloads. Coaxing many more reloads than just a few, can be a bit of a chore and requires constant checking.

When I started reloading for my 300WM many years ago, I was worried about this, after 12 reloadings I finally hauled the dremel out and split 3 of the cases. Nada, Zip. No sign of separation what so ever. The trick is to only full length resize every 4th or 5th time, neck size the rest. Course, that not what the reloading books say....

Joe

Posts: 12 | Location: canada | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check at any decent sized drug store. They usually have cheap models for looking in kids' ears that work well. Mine cost less than $10.

Posts: 31 | Location: North Dakota, US | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not relevant I suppose but a shooter that is also an X-ray tech sent me radiographs of .30 Herrett brass. The head separations were easily seen. If you are not familar with case head separations scrounge some fired .303 British brass and use a saber saw on it. It is always soemwhat separated even though not always visible on the outside.

Ed

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote