New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of target do you like?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Besides tasty critters Smiler what is your favorite target for practice.

From 100 to 300 yards I like a solid white background such as priter paper with the 1 inch Hornady squares. I seem to be able to line the crosshairs up on these better than a circle.

From 600 to 1,000 yards I use an 18"x18" steel plate that I generaly paint a dull red. It shows up good, I can hear the hit and the dull color keeps sun glare from messing with my eyes.

Not sure what I would like at 400 to 500 yards, I just realized I don't do enough shooting at those ranges Confused

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
The ones with tiny little groups in them Wink.

I usually use a standard NRA 100 yard target even if I'm shooting at 200 plus yds. I stick a Shoot-n-C target on that so I can easily see the hole with my rifle scope.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post

Free targets from the internet!

I like the concentric nature of the circle within the circle as it helps me remain centered during the squeeze.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
I prefer the orange 1" or 2" squares. I choose the square that fits the power range and reticle of scope used at the moment.

My eyes are not what they once were and I often find it easier to bracket the square w/crosshairs, making the point of aim one of the corners rather than a center hold on the square.

With a variable power scope such as the 4.5 x 14 on my AR which was used to shoot the group below, I use a center hold and adjust power to provide proper target/reticle size.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've always been partial to the old style Brit/Canadian Lee Enfield gallery targets: a dark half moon on the top of the target and scorng lines only below.

This allows a rifleman to place their sights directly centred underneath a dark line, with a constant amount of light showing between their aiming point and sights. With a level target, canting is reduced, and you can vary the width of the target aiming mark to accomodate iron signts at various ranges. I prefer a 12" mark- perfect for low power scopes and iron sights.

We used to call them "tin hat targets" because they looked like steel helmets face on.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I prefer white backgrounds with black squares about 2" at 100 yards and 4-6" at longer range.

I line up my crosshairs on the lower right corner of the square each time, such that the whole black square is in the upper left quadrant of the crosshair field of view. This is the most exact point of aim I can think of. Your vertical crosshair lines up on the right vertical edge of the black square, and your horizontal lines up with the bottom of the square.

If you so much as waiver, you'll see white b/w your crosshair and the black.

Now and then I'll use the 1" round sticky targets once I find loads.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I got these off the Palma site and really like the diamonds to hold on:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the "Score Keeper" 100yd rifle 5 Bullseye targets from Walmart

sjadventures@cableone.net

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesPlane V of different sizes and boldness. coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I like square targets for longer range shooting. It seems easier to square the crosshair on them.

PS Here are some sites that have free targets you can print on your computer. You can purchase whatever color paper you want. You can get some really bright white paper that has a lot of contrast.

Below are some sites with a tremendous selection of free targets. Hope they're helpful.

www.targetz.com
www.mytargets.com
www.glockfaq.com/targets.htm
www.protargets.com/targets/index2.htm
www.uspalma.com/Targets/targets.htm

If you want some really long range target go to the last site in the list and check out their "Xlong" range targets. Wink

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
non tasty critters Eekerespecially ones with 4 legs, a tail and meow stir hillbilly

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Made my own on the computer and print them out as I need them.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote