THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What's your favorite .45 ACP bullet, why and ...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite .45 ACP bullet, why and ...
 Login/Join

<GoWyo!>
posted
where do you buy them? I've been shooting Precision Bullets coated lead cast 230 round nose for IPSC. The "Black bullet" seems to work for me in my Kimber Eclipse, but I'm willing to branch out a little. So there you go: cast, jacketed, or plated. What trips your trigger? Thanks and May all of you yanks have a safe Memorial Day. Gary

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Depends on what I am loading for...

For defensive loads, the Hornady 200 XTP; for bullseye any of the 185 SWC; for hardball, any 230.

All jacketed...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
HG 68 200 gn SWC, cast from pure linotype (still have a good supply on hand) out of my 6-cavity Hensley & Gibbs mould. Target accuracy when fueled with 4.9 B'E. For power, I back them with 7.5 Unique (hot !).

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
My favorite is the Lyman/Keith .452423 hollowpoint semi-wadcutter. It casts at 230 grains from wheelweights, and functions well in any M1911 that is throated for match ammo. It can be driven to about 950 FPS at safe pressures with 7.3 grains of Unique, and is very accurate and effective!!

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Plinking/target practice-Home cast 200gr SWC.
Home defense-165 hydra shok, or 200gr cor-bon.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
GoWyo!,

230 gr full metal jacket. Great accuracy out my .45 ACP 1911 custom. And very fun to shoot.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I use the 230 sTarfire for PMC, they work great in my 45, don't reload so can't coment on other bullets

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot what they were designed to shoot, 230gr FMJ, loaded to give 850fps. In my issue 1911, they are accurate and feed every time. Semper Fidelis.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Powderman>
posted
Same bullet as Andre, but from Lee molds. I use 4.0 to 4.5 of Clays. Good accurate load.

However, recently, I've "discovered" AA #7. Really clean burning powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 200 grainers. Driven to 959 fps for defense, slightly lower for practice. 185 grs there is too few case grip on the bullet, IMO.

I will use VV N 320 and 330 for practice, Unique and 340 for defense.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote