New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on 223 load
 Login/Join

Picture of missouriman
posted
Hello I had my 223 sighted in shooting win, Ballistic silver tip 55gr.bullets. and i just reloaded some 40gr nosler bt ,with 28grains of h335,I was wondering about how high or low should the40 grains shoot at 100yds,Im guessing it should be 3 or 4 inches high what do u think ?
Im going to shoot some tomorrow to see if im going to like these or not

Posts: 16 | Location: marshfield Missouri | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience you'll have to experiment with your specific gun.....the barrel harmonics will determine more about point of impact than velocity.

Start at 25 yds just in case, to save frustration. I've seen 6" or more MOA change...

JMHO,

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
This is a probable answer, lower. The lighter faster bullet should exit before the barrel rises as much as the heavier slower bullet. However as the above post mentions; based on individual barrel harmonics... could be anywhere, including in the same point of aim!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of missouriman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. The only reseason im even trying the 40gr is i bought a bunch of them for my 22hornet and wasnt crazy abot them so i was hopeing to use these up .
Im hopeing they will work ok in the 223 as i plan on useing them on coyotes.
The hornady v-max 35gr works great for my 22 hornet so im hopeing that these will work good for the 223;
I guess i should add all my kills are with in 25yds or less,so theres no 100 to 200 yard shots
any thanks for the help

Posts: 16 | Location: marshfield Missouri | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of missouriman
posted Hide Post
I just made it back from testing these 4ogr. At 100yds they way dead on ,it kinda shocked me i just knew it was going to be way off but its not. now i just have to test them on coyotes, hope they work .

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
They will work just fine...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote