THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Reloading Data changes with different barrel twist?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Data changes with different barrel twist?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got the 204 Ruger back from a muzzle brake and barrel installation so I am ready to begin my load work up.

I will be using Hornady's Reloading Guide Data with the 32gr V-Max and VV N-140 powder.

Hornady's Data was obtained using a 26" 1:12 twist barrel, however, I chose a 26" 1:11 twist for the Citeron re-barrel for using heavier bullets if I ever want to go that route.

Anyway my question is what would be a "usual" change for the 1:11 over the 1:12 barrel that Hornady used to obtain the Data??

Of course I will work my way up with the powder charge but in general what could/should I expect??

I am thinking higher pressures and velocity??

What do you say??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing more than the barrels are individuals and can have different behavior even if everything were the same.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now Leopardtrack, I told you not to put one of those ear-splitters on your rifle. Maybe you didn't hear me because you forgot to use ear protection before. Regardless . . .

As Nordic says, there is no predictable difference in a 1-12 barrel and a 1-11 barrel. Theoretically, the slightly faster twist would provide more resistance to the bullet and thus slightly increase chamber pressures, but there are so many variables which are so much more influential that you can totally discount the twist as being one of them. Work up your loads as you would for any rifle which is new to you.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The twist is a miniscule variable.
It is much less a variable than your source of data. Using data from a single source is risky if Hornady publishes a typo you have nothing to compare it to.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info fellas! I am surprised at your responses since I thought that 2 1/2 extra inches would make a significant difference.

Stonecreek, I'm sure that by the end of the summer what little hearing I have now will be goneSmiler

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle break on a .204 ?????? If I may ask, why?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JG,

Long story from another post. In short I want zero recoil so that I can see Prairie Dogs explode!

With that said...I am totally aware that putting a brake on a 15lb, heavy barrel 204 is frivolous and a total waste of moneySmiler

I know, I know...