Find
Notify
Tools

Do-nuts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
Does anyone have any remedies other than the K & M cutting mandrel? A distinguished fellow reloader has a K & M with the cutter mandrel and we were testing it out and it worked but it sure seemed to booger up the inside of the neck also. Also any observable effects to accuracy or velocity when the do-nuts develop?

The reason I ask is that I am ready to reload about 40 cases of 280AI. The cases have been fired 4 times and this will be the 5th reloading. When I put them in the loading block I took a 160 gr Accubond and it will slip in the fired necks up to the do-nut and go no further. My mandrel on the Lee Collet Die measures .282" and it will barely slip by. Wonder if the do-nut is even all the way around, if not it could lead to...oh no...run-out!!! shocker nilly

Of course when seating the bullet the press will seat the bullet past the do-nut with no discernable effort but what effect will it have? Perhaps it will be a good thing like a rear end crimp! Big Grin

How about if I ordered an oversized mandrel that measured .284" from Lee, sized the neck (including the do-nut back out to .284" and then resized the neck back down to .282" with a washer on top of the shell holder. Now that would get rid of it!

fishing popcorn

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Woods, Did you neck turn these cases to start with? Is the chamber a tight neck? If it is then the donut can cause an over pressure situation. The best way to get rid of the donut is to expand the cases up and ouside neck turn the donut off. When turning cases for the first time, set the shoulder back with the sizing die so that when you turn the necks down, you can turn them past where the shoulder will end up after fire forming.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Yep, the gun is a Hart barrel and has a .313" neck and I turn the Nosler brass down to .013" before they are ever fired. That allows .003" clearance and the bullet slides into the fired neck easily so I am getting complete bullet release.

I turn right down to the neck shoulder junction. The new case shoulder datum point is at 2.135" and it expands to 2.150" which allows .015" of movement forward by the shoulder. This should be enough to get the turned neck brass onto the do-nut area.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...when seating the bullet the press will seat the bullet past the do-nut with no discernable effort, but what effect will it have?

The bullet will act like an expanding mandrel and externalize the donut.

Have you looked into using Forster's reamers?

one of us
posted Hide Post
What's a Do-nut?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
What's a Do-nut?

Here's an article on do-nuts.

The only problem is that I'm looking for a way to just keep it simple and not have to buy the K & M turner since I already have the Forster turner and like it just fine.

Here's how Varmint Al says to do it

quote:
TURN TO THE SHOULDER.... I have very carefully dressed the tool bit with a fine diamond hone so that the cut on the outside of the neck looks like polished brass. I also made a small fillet radius (approximately 0.010" radius) on the leading edge of the tool bit that matches the fillet at the neck to shoulder junction on new brass. I turn the neck so that the bit cuts slightly into the shoulder approximately 0.002" to 0.004". I have had no necks separate from the shoulder from doing this and it decreases the chance of developing the "dreaded doughnut" (a constriction of the neck ID at the neck to shoulder junction).

which I thought I did. Maybe I didn't go into the shoulder far enough. It's a scary prospect cutting a groove into the shoulder at the neck junction, let me tell you.

This is what K & M says about it, but this could get expensive!!

quote:

K & M has specially designed a new carbide mandrel that has four flutes for removing the "dough-nut" that is located at the neck-shoulder junction of a case. Removing this extra material aids in a consistent high volume flow of powder gas. A small difference in the shape and diameter of the hole makes a huge difference in performance. This new carbide mandrel will also cut the extra material out of this area if you have changed the neck to a different caliber. This mandrel works while you neck turn, so you will not have to perform a separate operation.
To Order, Click on the Item Number.

KMCAP17
.17 CARBIDE PILOT
$37.15
(0.2 LB)

KMCAP19 .19 CARBIDE PILOT $37.15 (.02 LB)
KMCAP20 .20 CARBIDE PILOT $37.15 (0.2 LB)
KMCAP22 .22 CARBIDE PILOT $37.15 (0.2 LB)
KMCAP6MM 6 MM CARBIDE PILOT $37.15 (0.2 LB)
KMCAP25
.25 CARBIDE PILOT
$37.15
(0.2 LB)

KMCAP65MM 6.5 MM CARBIDE PILOT $37.15 (0.2 LB)
KMCAP27
.27 CARBIDE PILOT
$37.15
(0.2 LB)

KMCAP7MM
7mm CARBIDE PILOT
$37.15
(0.2 LB)

KMCAP30
.30 CARBIDE PILOT
$37.15
(0.2 LB)

KMCAP338 .338 CARBIDE PILOT $37.15 (0.2 LB)

quote:
Have you looked into using Forster's reamers?

The Forster reamer might work. Here's what they say

quote:

Thick case necks can cause high chamber pressures and flyers. The Forster Neck Reamer mounts in the cutter of a Forster Case Trimmer in place of the pilot and removes the excess brass from the neck walls. The Forster Neck Reamer is manufactured from high grade, wear-resistant tool steel and ground .0025" to .003" over the maximum bullet diameter. The staggered tooth design cuts the brass smoothly without chattering.

Three important notes about using your Forster Neck Reamer:

Neck reaming should only be performed after the cases have been fired with a full load and before the neck or full length sizing operation. Wall thickness can be measured with a tubing micrometer, but a simpler test for excess brass in the neck area is to slide a bullet into a fired, unsized case neck. If you feel interference, the neck should be reamed or outside neck turned.

Use neck reamers before resizing. Three exceptions to this rule are the NR1220-.220" diameter reamer for .224" bullets; the NR1239-.239" diameter reamer for .243" bullets; and the NR4275-.4275" diameter reamer for .429" bullets. These are common sizes that reloaders use to ream their cases just before seating bullets. These three sizes are kept in stock for those who intend to ream after the sizing operation just before seating bullets.

We grind many other special sizes as needed. Wildcatters often require specially sized reamers when converting brass from one caliber to another. You tell us the size you need and we'll grind it to your exact specifications. A nominal $10 special grinding fee applies. Our quick turnaround service adds a versatile case preparation tool to your Forster Case Trimmer System.

Maybe they sell a reamer that would attach to my neck turner. I'll look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the L. E. Wilson inside neck reamer available from Sinclair. The only drawback is that you have to have a case holder for each cartridge.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Woods,
Use the forster inside neck reamer, On my little wildcat case I designed, (5.7x28 necked to 17 cal), I moved the sholder back to get a longer neck.
I have a donut on the inside of ALL these cases,after fire forming, I inside neck ream to clean up everything, DONUTS GONE!
Don.

"Any person that fears me owing a firearm, I fear that person"

Posts: 46 | Location: Lovelock,Nevada | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:

I already have the Forster turner and like it just fine.

Maybe they sell a reamer that would attach to my neck turner.

As I understand the Forster system, both the Outside Neck Turner and the Neck Reamer are based on the Case Trimmer chassis. The reamer fits in place of the trimmer pilot, as does the Outside Neck Turner pilot.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Yeah but my Forster neck turner is the hand held neck turner.

I e-mailed Forster to see if the reamer listed on this page down there next to the listing for "Hand Held" HOTP284 would fit my hand held turner. If it does then I'll give it a shot.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also made a small fillet radius (approximately 0.010" radius) on the leading edge of the tool bit that matches the fillet at the neck to shoulder junction on new brass. I turn the neck so that the bit cuts slightly into the shoulder approximately 0.002" to 0.004". .

Expanding the neck ID to .300 caliber before outside turning and than resize will also help.

Example ; when making 7mmx41 cases they are necked turned first at .358 x 41cal, stepped down to 7.62 x 41 than 7 x41 and given a final neck turn finish ever so slightly into the shoulder. holycowno problem in the last 30 years or so. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, but my Forster neck turner is the hand held neck turner.

...the listing for "Hand Held" HOTP284 would fit my hand held turner.

I have Forster's catalog, and I believe the part in question is the pilot/mandrel that you already have. Don't have a good feeling for a positive outcome here.

If you have the Wilson trimmer, you have the platform for their reamers.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Woods,

In my first post on this subject I told you how to get rid of the donut on the cases you are dealing with now and to not have the donut problem in the future for new cases.

For the cases you are dealing with now: Resize the cases setting the shoulder back a little farther than normal. You have created a "false" shoulder that you can now run the turner into. Now expand the necks like you would normally for
neck turning. OK, now the donut is on the outside of the neck, simply turn it off running the neck turner into the shoulder. Now when you fireform this brass, the shoulder will move forward to its original location but the cut will be further back in the shoulder. In the life of that brass(unless its Lapua), the brass will not flow enough forward to create a new donut. Do this on new cases as well and don't worry about donuts.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointblank:
Woods,

In my first post on this subject I told you how to get rid of the donut on the cases you are dealing with now and to not have the donut problem in the future for new cases.

For the cases you are dealing with now: Resize the cases setting the shoulder back a little farther than normal. You have created a "false" shoulder that you can now run the turner into. Now expand the necks like you would normally for
neck turning. OK, now the donut is on the outside of the neck, simply turn it off running the neck turner into the shoulder. Now when you fireform this brass, the shoulder will move forward to its original location but the cut will be further back in the shoulder. In the life of that brass(unless its Lapua), the brass will not flow enough forward to create a new donut. Do this on new cases as well and don't worry about donuts.

pointblank

I am not ignoring you. I would rather have the donuts on the present cases then push the shoulder back that far and have additional thinning at the web. They are not hurting anything right now, maybe accuracy but probably not. The do-nut is only .001" on the present case.

I do turn the necks as far back into the shoulder as possible before the first firing. Pushing the shoulder back farther and creating excess headspace to get an additional amount of turning is not an option I would like to do now.

Seems like the Forster neck reamers are exactly what I need but I have to talk myself into spending that much. The reamer being .0025" to .003" is exactly what is needed which shows the Forster people are on the ball as usual.

If you neck turn the brass so that there is .003" clearance around the neck then the inside neck diameter after firing should be .003" larger than caliber diameter and the reamer should fit tight and get rid of the do-nut.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Woods,

pointblank

I am not ignoring you. I would rather have the donuts on the present cases then push the shoulder back that far and have additional thinning at the web. They are not hurting anything right now, maybe accuracy but probably not. The do-nut is only .001" on the present case.

I do turn the necks as far back into the shoulder as possible before the first firing. Pushing the shoulder back farther and creating excess headspace to get an additional amount of turning is not an option I would like to do now.

Seems like the Forster neck reamers are exactly what I need but I have to talk myself into spending that much. The reamer being .0025" to .003" is exactly what is needed which shows the Forster people are on the ball as usual.

If you neck turn the brass so that there is .003" clearance around the neck then the inside neck diameter after firing should be .003" larger than caliber diameter and the reamer should fit tight and get rid of the do-nut.

OK, go ahead and ruin the concentricity of the necks you turned to get them concentric. Whats going to make the Forster reamer center itself inside the case neck? I can assure you of one thing, there is a reason for all the outside neck turners on the market. Inside neck reamers create more problems than they cure. If the case isn't dead-nutz aligned with that reamer when you cut the necks, it WILL cut one side of the necks thinner than the other. What do you think the chances of getting every case set up perfect on the Forster trimmer? I'd say the chances of getting one of the cases right are somewhere between slim and none. Oh and to cure your excessive headspace thought, which won't really exist if you only bump the shoulders a couple thousanths: Expand the necks up to the next largest caliber, then resize them in the AI die, only don't size the entire neck. Just enough so that you have some feel when you chamber and empty case.

I have managed to not blow myself up in 20 years of dealings with tighneck chambers and wildcat chamberings.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:

to cure your excessive headspace thought, which won't really exist if you only bump the shoulders a couple thousanths

I guess you missed the part where I posted that I already neck turn 15 thousanths past where the neck/shoulder juncture will wind up

quote:
I turn right down to the neck shoulder junction. The new case shoulder datum point is at 2.135" and it expands to 2.150" which allows .015" of movement forward by the shoulder. This should be enough to get the turned neck brass onto the do-nut area.

I had imagined that the reamer would not start taking off brass until it hits the do-nut. If it does then I will make adjustments until it only hits the do-nut. If it doesn't work then I will throw it in the drawer with the rest of the "thingys" (you there HC? Big Grin), but believe me I will be the first to know if it affects concentricity at all, if the RCBS casemaster doesn't show it then the Bersin Tool will. IME, if you want to destroy concentricity then start expanding necks.

Besides, their my necks so I can

quote:
go ahead and ruin the concentricity of the necks you turned to get them concentric

if I want (I don't really turn necks for concentricity but for uniform bullet release and to fit custom chambers).

quote:
I have managed to not blow myself up in 20 years of dealings with tighneck chambers and wildcat chamberings.

Congratulations and I wish you continued success.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...If it doesn't work then I will throw it in the drawer with the rest of the "thingys" (you there HC? Big Grin), but believe me I will be the first to know if it affects concentricity at all, if the RCBS casemaster doesn't show it then the Bersin Tool will. IME, if you want to destroy concentricity then start expanding necks. ...
Yes, I'm following along as best I can.

Only problem is, I don't have any of these problems with good old P-FLR. Huuuummm:
1. Maybe I do have do-nuts in my Standard Cartridge Chambers and don't even know it.
2. I don't have an RCBS Casemaster.
3. I don't have a Bersin Tool.
4. I don't have any "Thingys".

But I can still shoot in the 6s(on good days). bewildered rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Yes, I'm following along as best I can.

Only problem is, I don't have any of these problems with good old P-FLR. Huuuummm:
1. Maybe I do have do-nuts in my Standard Cartridge Chambers and don't even know it.
Probably so, factory chambers expand the case a lot more than tight neck chambers and you can't look for it after sizing since the bullet won't slide down the neck by hand anymore. We'll just have to put do-nuts on your very long list of "things you have and don't even know it." Big Grin
Probably a good thing, you might hurt yourself! animal
3. I don't have a Bersin Tool.
You sure you can't make your own out of baling wire and duct tape? hillbilly
Hell to get old and not have a thingy anymore, my sympathies.

But I can still shoot in the 6s(on good days). bewildered rotflmo

Somebody's got to figure out what makes things tick for all you lucky consumers out there. knife

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hot Core:
Probably a good thing, you might hurt yourself! animal
Hell to get old and not have a thingy anymore, my sympathies. shocker Hey HC ! I think you're being put upon. stir roger

Somebody's got to figure out what makes things tick for all you lucky consumers out there. knife
AND WE ALL THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION!!! diggin roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bartsche, You have to consider the "source" and give it the appropriate due consideration. By the time they get through measuring, straightening, reaming, remeasuring, etc., it appears to be difficult to get any Firing in due to a lack of time. Big Grin
-----

And getting "older"(so far) every day. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote