New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well got my press, have some questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never reloaded a round or seen one loaded just as info. I got my Rock Chucker supreme press today. I mounted it to my table, busted out the .40 S&W carbide die set that arrived as well, the shellholder and started to go at about 300 pieces of brass that I had. Took me awhile to figure out how to get the shellholder pushed in right. I put in the sizer die and screwed it in like it said to do. I went through all the brass, which was about 99% Federal and the arm pulled down easy. I had 10 pieces of Winchester brass that my kids must have picked up by mistake since they are just looking for .40 S&W on the rim at the range. On the Winchest pieces the arms was hard to fully depress at the end. Is this because the brass is thicker or the case mouth narrower or the primer harder to punch out?

So next I put the expander die in and set the die up the way it says to do. I pulled the arm down and man the bell on the end of the case could probably hold a .75 caliber round now. To the trash it went. So the little pamphlet says you might have to back off the middle insert on the expander die. So I backed off about 3 turns, tried again and still the expansion was huge. I finally backed way way way off the middle expansion part and have a slight flare. I don't really know if that is too little, just right or not enough though. Does it matter when adjusting the expansion die if you actually unscrew the die itself some and the middle part some as well?

I had to stop there because I forgot to order some bullets when I ordered everything else so I don't have anything to put in the cases. I will have some more questions when they finally get here.

Thanks in advance
Wes

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Ok Wes, 1st I hope you bought at least (2) good reloading manuals & read them through. The ABC's of Reloading is also a good source for most questions. Get them, read them THEN reload.
Since you have started, some answers to your questions:
The difficulty in sizing could be thicker brass or brass that has over expanded, common in the .40s&w.
The flare or bell in the case mouth only need be enough to start a bullet, you should just be able to see it. For best results, screw the die all the way until it touches the raised ram (w/ shell holder). Then back the stem out until you get the bell you want. Over expanding some isn't a problem but does work the brass more than needed. Backing the die out is ok if you need to, best though if you have a flat shim to place between the die & shell holder to make sure things are square. The die threads are coarse.
Keep asking questions, it's a good way to learn. Get those loading manuals & read them, It's important, you only have (2) eyes & (10) fingers. eek2

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I have 4 reloading manuals, Speer, ABCs, Nosler and Lyman's. I have read ABCs and the Speer one thorougly over the last 2 months. That is why I just got my press now so I would have some knowledge before starting. All of them assume you have exactly the equipment they do and they it looks like theirs. The pictures aren't always a big help so that is why I was asking my above questions. I appreciate your answers.

Wes

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does it matter when adjusting the expansion die if you actually unscrew the die itself some and the middle part some as well? No it does not really matter, what I do to set up my ex pander is put a sized shell casing in the shell holder raise the ram to the top most position and screw in the die then middle part until resistance is met then lower ram screw in quarter turn & expand check flare with a bullet should clear the edge of the case but not go any deeper than it hase to.The less brass is worked the longer it will last.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't have to unscrew the die--just adjust it like AOWM advised.

you'll probably be able to just feel the expansion.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WesN--When adjusting dies sometimes you can "walk" them in. Don't give it the full stroke,just a touch then back off and take a look. Get it right and set it there. Those cases with trombone end will crimp back. You have the Lyman manual which has cast info,you might want to take that up too. Casting your own is another hobby in its own.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Leave the die in the press as far as it will go. Then back the expander plug out until you get no bell at all, then screw it back in a little at a time, testing each time to see when it causes JUST ENOUGH BELL that you can start the bullet without the bullet base catching on the edge of the cartridge case. The less belling you do, the longer the cases will last.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WesN:
I pulled the arm down and man the bell on the end of the case could probably hold a .75 caliber round now. To the trash it went.

No need to trash it. Simply run it through the sizing die, again, to restore its dimensions.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
RSY, you may not be able to get a .750 case back into the sizing die. bewildered
Good job Wes, I didn't mean to imply you hadn't read anything, just sounded like you bought the press & wanted to start playing. Keep the questions coming, it always helps to learn from others mistakes. bawling

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote