New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Length in Savage 99
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going to handload some .308 Win. cartridges for a Savage Model 99.

I have some reloads, made by a friend, that are 2.785" length overall and they stick in the rotary magazine when fully loaded. I suspect they are too long and are hanging up. My reloading manual lists lengths up to 2.8" so I think the Model 99 requires shorter than normal slugs.

If any of you readers have any experiance with this rifle and cartridge, I'd sure appeciate some advice. What would be the maximum length I can load? How about your favorite loads for accuracy?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Savage 99 is chambered for 300 Savage so this may not quite hold true for your 308 version but

According to Ken Waters Pet Loads the max OAL for the Mod 99 is 2.60 inches or you run into problems with the rotary magazine.

I load my rounds to 2.60 exactly and they function fine in my magazine. If the magazine is my limiting factor in this rifle not the distance to the lands. Factory rounds for the 300 Sav typically run around 2.55-2.57 in length.

You may want to measure factory 308 and load to that length provided they function fine in your rotary mag.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load all Savage Mod 99's to factory specs...Use a factory round to set your bullet seater..It is also a real good idea to use "small base dies"...and remember max loads in a 99 are usually about 2 grs. under book max...The 99 is pretty forgiving on over loading and will clue you by the lever dropping about 1/8th of an inch when you get a tad warm (as a rule that is).....Great guns, but do not stress them and remember to trim the cases are you will get into a world of hurt!

Even today I still shoot a 308 and a 250 Savage...

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage lengthed the mag when the 308 came out. It was a tad over 2.60 and then changed to about 2.90 when they started chambering the 308. My 300 sav wont load 308's in the mag and my 308 is about 2.90. I'm wondering if your friend thinks he has a 308 but might really have an older 300 savage. Or maybe the brass rotary thingy is just screwed up (lots of pieces and a tricky spring) and needs some work or a gunsmith.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point Ray. You really got to watchout and pay attention as the the gun they worked their loads up for.

I have an older Savage 99 with the round count window and safety that locks the triggerguard. 2.60 inches is as long as I will go. I loaded a dummy out to 2.65 using a 165 gr Barnes X to see if it would contact the lands. No land contact and no way it would fit in the rotary mag. So I seated to a max OAL of 2.60 ala Ken Waters recommendation and all is well.

NO pressure signs thus far either even at max book loads. Extraction is fine, trigger bow stay fully up, and cases mic at less than .0045 expansion (.004 being my measured normal) in front of the web (.005 being the listed acceptable max). When I mic'ed fired factory rounds I got measurements equalling .004-.0045. So pressure levels are well within published limits. I am using Redding dies.

(I eddited this message when I discovered I had placed one too many zeros in my numbers)

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS to everyone who posted, JUST what I needed to know.

I'm off to the reloading bench with my micrometer in hand.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote