Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 jarrett
 Login/Join

posted
I'm having a 300 jarrett made, and would appreciate any sugested load's for the 165 to 180 grain range. I would like to try the ct 168 bst, and the 180 grain acubond. It will have a 26" barrel. Thanks

Posts: 13 | Location: north of Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd ask the "great one" himself. K. Jarrett.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I did, but since the gun did'nt come from him he did'nt care to offer any loads.

Posts: 13 | Location: north of Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the typical attitude of the "great one", Mr. Jarrett. Unless he has your money in his hand, he's not willing to help. In fact, im my experience, there was a direct correlation between the amount of money and the amount of help.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I will have to agree with Mr. James Kennedy Jarrett here. If he has limited time to spend (as we all do), why should he not spend it with his customers?

He does some great seminars at the SCI Conventions, and takes a lot of questions.

You could buy ammo from them too now that they are selling, but Jarrett has a practice of including accurate loads with its rifles.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I will disgree, as all of us on this forum gladly participate in helping what are sometimes complete strangers because we are all part of this hunting/shooting/testing/ect. community or obsession depending on your perspective. All of our time is valuable, but look at how some folks here that are extremely accomplished gunsmiths and gunbuilders, leagues ahead of Jarrett, freely share information back and forth. That is what creates satisfied and life-long customers and builds confidence in who you choose to work with. A gunsmith that qualifies his answer on a caliber that bear's his name by asking if the rifle came from him, is absurd, and has only one thing on his mind, money. I have found nearly all gunsmiths and builders to be overly willing to help for the most part due to the fact that we all share the same passions.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
...some folks here that are extremely accomplished gunsmiths and gunbuilders, leagues ahead of Jarrett...
I would be interested in the "List" of these extremely accomplished gunsmiths and gunbuilders, leagues ahead of Jarrett that you believe exist. Simply because there are none I can think of when it comes to "leagues ahead" at all.

John Lewis used to work for/with Kenny Jarrett and now produces an excellent rifle of his own, with great accuracy.

Dave Tooley produces BenchRest accurate rifles for hunting.

I can think of others that produce "way more expensive" rifles than those three, but none that are more accurate, more balanced, more functional, nor in any way more reliable at all.
---

Hey Tiger Time, It used to be that specific Loads were developed for each Jarrett rifle before it ever left their hands. Of course the specific Load varried from rifle to rifle, just as it does for any rifle made. And of course that is no help to you at all.

Check back with the GunSmith that made your rifle for you as to what he "Developed" for your specific rifle.

You can also get a general idea about what to use with one of the Ballistic Software Programs. And you can email Hodgdon if no one can give you a Starting Load.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Sorry for the tardy reply, but I didn't know this thread was still kicking until I saw it now. The fact of the matter is, I had a personal experience with Jarrett on a rifle that was extremely frustrating. After no help, I brought the rifle to another custom gunbuilder and he discovered a half dozen items that were wrong, basic gunsmithing 101 type stuff. So my comments are based on personal experience and since then I've talked to several folks that have had similar experiences to mine. If you've had great experiences with him, knock yourself out, but in my opinion there are better folks out there. Builders such as Frank Wells, Biesen, Jerry Fisher, Wiebe, Bollinger, Burgess, Simillion, Hill Country, Miller, Stratton, Jim Kobe, Echols, Davenport, etc. Now I have no doubts that he has the ability to build a nice rifle, and has some satisfied customers such as yourself, but I was not satisfied and his customer service was horrible and his attitude was very similar to the response Trigger Time received.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Prewar70, Excellent response and I do understand. I'm going back and deleting a couple of my posts.

Have you used "all" those GunSmiths?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Jarrett one time. His biggest problem is the fact that he thinks his shit don't stink.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Did'nt mean to cause an a heated debate. I checked with my gunsmith who is speedy Gonzalas at sg&y out of roenoake tx. He did recomend one load, just wanted some other ideas to start on. As for Mr. Jarrett, I am sure he is capable of making an outstanding rifle, and putting together great ammo, the fact of the matter is I just cant afford a 3 to 5 thousand dollar rifle and cringe at spending 4 to 5 dollars everytime I pull the trigger. I'd like to try some different powder's and dont really want to start with 300 wheatherby loads and start creeping up. I got lucky and get to go on a New Mexico mule deer hunt in November and dont have a lot of time to shoot. My goal is to have a few loads to try, and see what the rifle likes, then load for the hunt accordingly. Then have I'll have to go work out a drop chart at range. Through in fire forming the 8mm brass and Ive got Three trips to shoot. For my schedule thats cutting it real close.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I wish I had some load data to suggest to you and apologize for getting this thread off track. I would think somebody has some data that would offer a starting point. Maybe try a post in the Wildcat forum and see if anyone there picks up on it.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Just did a little search on the net and came up with a few things. Loading data for the 300 RUM is probably a very good starting point. Powders that make sense RL22, H1000, Retumbo and H4831SC. I did see reference to one specific load for the 300 Jarrett, 78 grains of RL22 behind a 200 gr. Nosler Part. The guy said 80 was max for his rifle and then another guy said 78 was max in his. So work your load up appropriately. John Lewis's name was mentioned earlier, but I saw reference to him again as a source of data. A phone # listed was 803-827-2069, Carolina Precision Rifles.