New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon Powder Data Base
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have you tried this database? It is a really nice database it gives you higher loads then the Nosler tables

What I really like about it is it gives you a choice of different powders and what the values are for each powder with a particular load especially in the days when you can’t be picky on what powders you find or I can find LOL.

I am lucky now and how several pounds of H 4831 and magnum primers but for a seven MM 08 I need to find some different powders in this has been a great database to look at Because you can list a load for all the powders they gave you to the right in this case 19 different powders

I was buying 139 grain Hornady Whitetail hunter bullets and they used to chronograph 2850 or better this weekend I got 2650 consistently and one hole

I tried to powders that I had found H414 and 46 grains gave me 2790 one hole but 47 gr went + fast but no group.

BCL-2 gave 43 gr gave me one hole 2750 and 44 gr gave me 1” group at 2840 and above that no pattern just speed

I have a can of H380 to try and someone gave me a can of reloader 17.
Has anyone tried either of these powders in a 7 mm-08? The H380 is listed for my rifle and 139 gr bullet But not the 17. Database shows max H380 at 47 gr and 2807 FPS

Since I’ve always just loaded H4831. is it common to see these loads change that much with just grain of ball type powder? I was rushing a little bit yesterday but not enough to see it one whole group go up to three or 4 inch group I was also trying the 139 gr hornaday SST Which did not shoot well in any load including The ones listed above that were one hole.

Suggestions. Thanks. Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I use Quickload then I go to the powder web sites and create an excel sheet with both data. QL is usually conservative.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Are your one hole groups repeatable? One small group doesn't make a load good, but it may indicate a trend. I would be especially suspect with such a large change with your next increment. A 4 or 5 shot group will tell you more than 3 shot too.

RL17 is an Alliant powder. One of the few that Hodgdon doesn't distribute in the US.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
not that it matter but I believe that RL17 comes from Switzerland.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, you asked for suggestions, and the first I would give you is to stick with the powders, load data, and projectile that gave you close to 2,800fps and one hole groups. That velocity is plenty for hunting large game with a 7mm-08. I have two 7mm-08 and neither will shoot one-hole groups and I'm using popular powders for this cartridge and have tried 5 or 6 different bullets.

I can't comment on how one grain of additional powder would gave 100fps more velocity as I don't think I've ever seen it happen. I can see how additional velocity and scattered groups might happen if it was extremely warm the day you tested the load. Good luck.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the rough out with Blc2 and H414 and got up to 2900 but the accuracy was lower than I thought it would be.

I plan to take this data and refine it down closer to see if it is repeatable and if I can tweak the loads.

H414 seemed to have closer velocity that the BLC-2 loads that had a larger fps spread.

I had new batteries in the Chrony all loads registered.

I have always used H4831. A board member sold me a lb of H4831sc and 1k of old Winchester magnum large rifle primers so I will be shooting some more. lol

I did find a pound of W760 and H380 where I stopped at Mummes in Hondo Texas. They also had about 30 mid range powders left but not main stream. I could not decide on the H380 or the last can of imr 4166.

The good news is the Hodgdon reloading data gives max loads on all these powders.

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote