Find
Notify
Tools

38/357 die issues
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I have purchased a set of RCBS dies. The number on the box is 18208. The box is green and labeled 357/38spc. The seller stated the sizer was carbide. However the box, nor the die make any reference to Carbide. In looking at the mouth of the die there is no carbide ring as I have on my other RCBS carbide dies. My other carbide dies also are labeled Carbide on the top of the die.

Anyone know anything about this die group number or have carbide sizing dies not labeled as such?

I will call RCBS on Monday. Just thought someone might have some info.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not carbide dies.
The last several decades the carbide dies have been in a gray box.
Before that the box was green with a blue label.
Most earlier steel straight wall 3 dies sets came in the green box and had a yellow label.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks, you were pretty much right on. Just got off the phone with RCBS. They verified the set was steel. The seller had stated the die was solid carbide. RCBS said they have always just used the ring insert. Also said that all carbide dies will have the word "carbo" along with the caliber on the sizer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well this just gets to be more of a mess. I had purchased what was listed as a new 38SPl /357 carbide die set. After contacting RCBS to verify the dies were std steel I contacted the seller. He said I sure thought they were carbide. He said he would send me a lyman carbide sizer only. I said that would be fine. Well the die arrived today it was a carbide 38s&w sizer. Since the 38s&w is .3855 and the 38spl is .379 fired cases can be pushed into the die with finger pressure and then pulled back out with no sizing performed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul

Having one of those weeks, are you? Wink

Not to worry. According to the news, the world as we know it will end this weekend. Roll Eyes

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Actually 3 weeks. LOL

Just call me a sucker. Now I'm waiting for a new full set of Lyman Carbide dies and $$ to send the rest back.

But if the world is going to end this weekend it might get lost in the mail.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K