New
Find
Notify
Tools

max COL for a 300RUM you would load
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
I got those new Accubonds 200gr for my 300RUM. I can load these bad boys really long and still be much greater than .308" in the neck. According to my Stoney Point, I have to load 3.82" COL to hit the lands. I know these 300RUM are supposed to have some freebore or pressure will shoot up. So I loaded 3.75" Re25 84gr - 91gr, 9.5 primer. I know SAAMI specs is 3.6". Whats the longest you guys load this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am on the lands, (VIA the split neck method) with a 200gr matchking. I have a COL of ~3.754-3.759 I think these matchkings tips vary in length by that much,..but the ogive is still in control of the land contact.

I have gotten to 87gr or RL25 thus far,..with no ejector marks or flatttened primers.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Thanks for the info. I guess trial and error. I am starting off at 84gr. Another question. Lets say I reach 3100fps with a 200gr bullet with a load alot less than max. No flattened primers, no case locked up in the chamber. Could I still be overpressure? I was reading an article that explained you can be way overpressure with no signs. I thought the 300RUM's freebore was used to get the speed as Weatherby to build up an let pressure off more gradulely.

one of us
posted Hide Post
that I can offer no information on. I built mine from a brand new 700 action and brand new 30" pacnor select S/S. I told the smith I wanted a 10twist,..and the smallest projectile I planned on shooting would be 200gr,....he took care of the rest.

I always seat to the rifling unless it just does not work.

I did have a strange occurence this weekend though,....I was on the 5th firing on a case,..which without FL sizing was probably too many. Anyway,...it chambered very hard,...but I fired it anyway. I have to bang the bolt open by hand!!! I saw no ejector mark or primer evidence to point to overpressure,...but with the trouble I had prying these cases out of the Wilson In-line die, (cut with the same reamer) I would say that had more to do with the over-stretched case and the fact that in the Wilson dies,...when a case has gotten too "fat" and not been FL sized,..it is a b!tch to get the press to push the whole case into the die. It is something you discover after you have been using the die on your cases for a few too many times. This failure to get the entire case into the die,..leaves the fattened section at the head/foreward of the head area still unsized,..as well as leaves the bullet seated long due to it's not going all the way into the die. (this is my conclusion from what I experienced). That Hard bolt close was me compressing the bullet into the rifling,.and at the same time trying to size the reamainder of the case with the chamber and lugs. This is not a good thing!!! [Wink] The bolt was very stiff,...by I beleive as I sated it was an over-stretched case and not a pressure issue,..as I had fired only 1 grain less with it the weekend prior,..and it gave NO SIGNS of pressure.

I will be taking Darryl Cassel's and Boyd Heaton's advice from this point and FL sizing these cases,..at least evry other time if not every time. I think it is a symptom of this caliber as I have not encountered this before,..but have never shot a super-magnum either. So my learning curve has steepened as of late [Smile]

Hope this helps you some,....this is what I have experienced thus far with 120rnds down the tube.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bigcountry, you may look at RETUMBO with that 200gr. pill..I got marginal results, but only tried about 15 rounds...the velosity is outstanding...sakofan..good luck, I sure miss my 300 RUM... [Frown]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Oh yea, Retumbo cooks. I got 3400fps with no pressure signs out of a 180 nosler Partition with 98gr of Retumbo. But accuracy wasn't great with it. I was getting 2.5" at 200 yards with 97gr. At about 98gr I started getting flyers. I would have two holes about .7" then a flyer about 3" away. This happened from 98gr to 101gr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah...stick with RL25 for 180gr.'s...I was refering to the 200gr. Accubonds..sakofan..

Man, dont those 300RUM's love that RL25???!! [Eek!]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigcountry,

I was loading the ones I tested with the Oehler 43 at 3.835" and those were .015" into the lands using the split case method to determine OAL to lands.

I loaded up 86, 88 and 90gr of Retumbo and pressure was 57k, 60k and 63k respectively.

MV was 2961, 3011 and 3082 fps respectively.

That was in a 26" bbl 700 factory sporter.

Have not shot any for group with Retumbo yet.

My load for hunting I went with is the first one I tested at 600 and 1000 yards, which held 3084 fps and 14 fps ES for three ten shot groups, that was 84gr RL22. I had 4 pounds of it setting there begging me to try it.... Load development was fast to say the least. Verifying it, accuracy is showing an easy .7 MOA to at least 600 yds and wind was up to 15 mph steady and held 1.4 MOA at 1000 yards.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote