Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Trimming & Sizer tool
 Login/Join

posted
Hey folks, I'm a new member and new at shoting a hand gun. Have got into reloading and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. New at this as well. That's way I've to you for some advise.
I'm reloadind .40 S&W. Come along way since my first batch.I have a lot more to learn but items I'm confused about.
1. Trimming:The gives you a Max. case length & a trim to length. I'm seeing that they never change. Do I every want to trim them to min.?
2. Sizer Tool:I'm using a Hornady Die set. There is a sizing die with it. Should I be using it ever time? If so how far do I let it go in the casing? I tried it once and it flared it out be time. I knew that wasn't going to work.
Thanks for listening

Posts: 4 | Location: Seguin, Texas | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I trim brass when the OAL exceeds the max specs. As far as sizing goes, I think you are confusing the sizing die with the belling/mouth expanding die. The case mouth only needs to be flared slightly, enough to allow the bullet base to just start into the case. It is a 3 die set?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes it is.Should I use it every time? They seem to to be sliding in the case alright.I just don't want the bullet to fit to loose I'm thinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1moreshot:
Yes it is.Should I use it every time? They seem to to be sliding in the case alright.I just don't want the bullet to fit to loose I'm thinking.

Yes, I do use it every time. Not trying to be a smart ass, but have you read the instructions that came with the die set ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, what little there was on the resizing tool.