New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 loads in 357 cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what happens if u reload 357 brass with a 38 load data say 158 with 3.2 bullseye ive been told if u use 357 cases with 38 loads they have lower pressure an shoot more accurate

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
shooting better is debatable.....lower pressure is theoretically correct.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
The "shoot better" i am sure they were making reference to fillin the chamber instead of having a short case and less bullet jump to the lands. This will assist you with less clean up but each gun will be different from an accuracy stand point.

I have shot 38spl type loads in mag cases for years. All the loads that i have shot have been "worked down" to this level as opposed to using a 38spl load in the mag cases.

Good Luck.......

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i see , i shoot a lot of 38 spl's an was wondering if it would help in a blackhawk 357 6 in , to use 357 brass an load target stuff in the 38 range? thanks guys looks like i ll be spendin little time playin in the loadin room tonite

<stans>
posted
I have found that I need to add about 0.5 grains to most 38 Special loads to get the same velocity when using 357 Magnum cases.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
If you're using bullets of 140 grains or more in weight, seat the bullets out to the same overall cartridge length you would with a .357 mag case. This will work well and save your magnum brass for full loads. Its terrible to load and fire at a target that needs .357 power and the gun goes pop. [Eek!]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shaner:

Have been doing loads for a few guys I know locally who do not handload.

I found that the Powder Blue Dot works the best for consistency. I chronographed these loads and the deviation in velocity was minimal compared to loads with Unique or some of the others.

The guys also tell that the Blue Dot loads seem to shoot more consistently and accurately, and that the barrel seems to not heat up as fast and the recoil is less also. That is their words not mine, but I have seen the same results using blue dot in several rifles as diverse as 223 to 444 Marlin.. These are using reduced velocity loads in these rifles.
[Wink]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote