THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Updated in OP Maybe it's me but ??? (heavy bullet .223 ?)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated in OP Maybe it's me but ??? (heavy bullet .223 ?)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
If I can use say 26 grains of a specific powder behind a Sierra 77 gr MK seated to magazine length. Then why can I not load the same charge behind a 75 gr A-Max which is seated out .25 inches further?

I think this same question would apply to other loading applications where a bullet is seated to a length which precludes magazine usage.

My feeling is that I have considerably increased the initial volume available and since the bullet even at 1/4" longer is not in contact with the lands that this charge should work. Now I know that I will work up as per standard safe proceedure, but it is one of those areas where the manuals differ or don't offer loads with the powder I am using.

Appreciate your opinions.

Shot the 77 MK's and the 75 A-Max today, got great results and the A-Max run a tad faster for charge weight. Got 2893 SD 9 with the max load for the 77MK's and 2858 SD 5 with the A Max's. The A-Max's took 1/2 grain less powder to achieve this. The A-Maxes with 3/10ths of a grain less yet shot better than my abilities. The A-Max has all the advantages for long range precision as it's BC is so far superior..

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would not have a problem with that assuming that particular load was not bumping up against max loading.
If the bullet design is similar and the bearing surfaces are similar and you ARE reducing the bullet weight and increasing the case volume I can't see any harm.
The usual admonitions remain: Your results may be different.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is what I am thinking, but still going to work up to it.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Shot the final product of the load development today.

Range 410 yards, little to no wind

75 Hornady A-Max with VV540, Win Brass and Fed 205M sparkplugs. Length 2.540, cal. .223

Velocity is 2850 ft/secs, and the load is 1/2 grain less than the Sierra 77 MK took to get to that velocity, even with the greatly extended over all length.

I have been busy writing on my blackboard; "I will watch the wind flags." 1,000 times! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
...I have been busy writing on my blackboard; "I will watch the wind flags." 1,000 times! Wink
Or the leaves and tips of the grass. thumb

Nice looking outfit!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 75 grain A-Max is being shot more and more on the 600 yard line at Highpower matches.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote