Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm 115gr Ranier Ballistics HP load help needed
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to reloading and have only Lyman 49 and Horn 8ed. I've read these bullets should be considered plated lead.

I started with 3.5 and 3.2 gr W231 WSP at 1.111 OAL. In two different S&W M&P 9mm full size/compact neither load would eject the round though did cycle enough to allow a dry fire on the spent cartridge. The 3.5s had about 4 in 10 stovepipe partial ejections.

I'm considering keeping the "bunny fart" charge but lowering the OAL to 1.08 or 9. I've seen other HP loads as low as 1.07.

Am I on the right track for methodology? Am I doing something wrong? Recommendations?

Posts: 13 | Location: IN | Registered: 23 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Check out the Hogdon / Winchester web site. They show 4.3g - 4.8g of WW 231 with a 115 LRN bullet. Ranier on their web site advises to use lead bullet data, so I suspect your load may be a bit light. Try working your load up a bit higher and keep your OAL the same.

I am using 4.9g of AA #5 with an OAL of 1.14" with that same bullet with no issues in my old Smith 639.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scout Master 54:
Check out the Hogdon / Winchester web site. They show 4.3g - 4.8g of WW 231 with a 115 LRN bullet. Ranier on their web site advises to use lead bullet data, so I suspect your load may be a bit light. Try working your load up a bit higher and keep your OAL the same.

I am using 4.9g of AA #5 with an OAL of 1.14" with that same bullet with no issues in my old Smith 639.

+1

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted Hide Post
I use 4.2 gr of Tite group with those bullets have shot several 1000 of them, im with the other guys your load seems to be a little lite I would start working up 0.2 gr at a time till you get it where you like it, JM2cnts. Good luck.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 106 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK after a 3.85 run of 6 rounds, here are the results. The first 3.85 stovepiped and the 2nd barely ejected then a few more did eject but next to last failed to pickup properly from the mag. I cleared that one and the next (6th but 5th shot) cycled and locked the slide back on empty mag. reloaded 6th shot which also locked the slide back. Think I'm getting close. Next 6 are 4.0 gr 1.111 OAL.

Should firing a cold barrel matter? i.e. should the first behave differently than the 5th or more? Also, 1.14 for LRN should be a bit longer than my LHP ya?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using Berry's 115g plated bullets. They suggest uning starting load for jacketed bullets, which would be about 4.3g in your case.

I started a little on the low side, and like you, had slide cycling and ejection problems. As I went up 0.1g in steps, the problems became fewer. When I got to the point where there was an ocasional FTE, I settled on that load. It sounds like you are getting close to the right load.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A/C guy:
I am using Berry's 115g plated bullets. They suggest uning starting load for jacketed bullets, which would be about 4.3g in your case.

I started a little on the low side, and like you, had slide cycling and ejection problems. As I went up 0.1g in steps, the problems became fewer. When I got to the point where there was an ocasional FTE, I settled on that load. It sounds like you are getting close to the right load.

Yes A/C. I popped off about 10 today at 4.2 gr. Appeared to cycle both my M&P full and compact 9s. I had 3 rounds at 4.0 and those got mixed up somehow to account for at least 2 of my failure to eject.

Made another 12 at 4.2 and 10 at 4.3 gr to shoot tomorrow on the way home from work. Will keep ya posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Fryar:
I use 4.2 gr of Tite group with those bullets have shot several 1000 of them, im with the other guys your load seems to be a little lite I would start working up 0.2 gr at a time till you get it where you like it, JM2cnts. Good luck.

That is my "go -to " 9mm load. Under 115 grn Barry's DS thick plated slugs.
They are bullseye loads in my wife's S & W M&P 9C
or My G 34.
Shoot ok in my Diamondback DB9.
Nice in my son's CZ-75's.