Find
Notify
Tools

Recovered Noslers and Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Daniel (not sure of his AR handle) sent me this picture (along with the comments below) for posting.

Rifle 30/06

180 gn nosler...........200 Barnes TSX

58 gn H4350............60 GN WXR

MV 2810..................MV 2650

proj on the left 180 gn nosler recovered from brumby which was shot in the back of the head...bullet recovered under the skin in the cheek

proj second from left 180 gn nosler recovered from brumby ....hit high in the shoulder /spine at 100 m and proj recovered in the neck just under the skin .....note the base of the nosler is bulged and just about ready to spit its back core out

proj third from left 180 gn nosler recovered from brumby shot at approx 80 m just above the shoulder and the proj ended up in the lower abdomen about 12-15 inches in front of the scrcrotum bag slightley to the left of centre

Barnes 200 gn TSX recovered from scrub bull animal shot in the base of the neck where the neck joins the body and the proj recovered under the skin on opposite side ... animal dropped in its tracks range about 70 m

Bull number 2 hit in the point of the shoulder with the 200 gn TSX ...proj exiting several ribs behind apposite shoulder animal took about two steps and dropped shoulder appeared to be broken , range 70 m

Bull number 3 ...200 gn TSX shot at about 100 m proj entered about 10 inches behind R shoulder and exited just behind the left shoulder ...animal dropped as if hit by lightening

to sum up i was impressed with the 200 gn TSX proj penetration was excellent as was the effect the one recovered 200 gn proj if you look closley has a slightley bent shank...however i would like to take a few more animals to pass final judgement on the 200 gn TSX

as far as the noslers i was a bit dissapointed with the lack of penetration that i got...i shot a number of brumbies with really high shoulder/spine shots from side on shots and the bullets did not exit and the one which was recovered looked worse for wear...with its shank just about ready to spit its rear core out.....that was from a 06 with a Mv of 2800 fps ....i would hate to see what would happen if this was shot out of a 300 wm at 3100 fps

on this trip we shot quite a few pigs the noslers from side on shots just sailed clean through.....however i shot several pigs from the rear bullets entered just foward of the hips and time after time there was no exit.....i was suprised and dissapointed

the above photos add to my collection of failed noslers.....

I spoke with a good friend of mine as to what was happening to the noslers when i hit bone...and he told me that they were tought in medical school that the out side of bone matter is harder than steel so that may explain things and i think ATKINSON may be right again as in one of his posts he said that bone matter will destroy the best of bullets

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
I really don't see these bullets as failures, they look pretty good to me, and I am sure the did a good deal of internal damage from the look of them....

however, where premium bullets are concerned, like standard bullets, if your getting a bit too much distruction of your bullet, as your pictures show you may have been. The cure for that is to go to the next heavier weight of bullet..That has worked for me in the past on many ocassions and is one reason I went to the 200 gr. Noslers in my 300 H&H, it cured that problem for me of blowing off the front end of the `180 gr. nosler, which always killed well by the way becaues it created a lot of lead and copper slashing around inside whatever I shot with it....

For what its worth, when shooting heavy stuff, use heavy bullets...

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TERRY
thanks for posting the photos for me
regard daniel

Posts: 1487 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote