Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAVORITE SINGLE STAGE PRESS
 Login/Join

posted
I currently have a progressive press with four stations. I like it for some applications, but I find it less convenient for others. Could you please tell me what single stage press you prefer and also what powder drop you prefer. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use mostly Redding equipment.
A friend has a Hornady with the quick change LNL.
The lock n load feature makes changes a snap

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I regularly use a Bonanza Co-Ax and an RCBS Rockchucker and in that order of preference. I use an RCBS uniflow for stick powders and a Redding BR3 for the smaller stuff. I use a Harrell benchrest measure for that application. As far as the RCBS and the Redding measures go it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other but both of mine are highly modified. What progressive do you use and why are you thinking about a change? Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always used an RCBS, as did my brother-in-law that started me reloading. But their all pretty much the same from what I've seen. If you already have another style, it'd be nice to use the dies, so you may want to say with your brand

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm reloading for targets or competition I don't use a press preferring to use Wilson NS knockout dies. For hunting and general purpose use I prefer my RCBS Rockchucker. It's sturdy and reliable. I imagine similar type presses from Redding and Lyman perform equally well. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Forster co-ax. Die swaps are much faster then a screw in type press, alignment is not an issue, and you don't have to change shell holders either, unless going from 22 hornet to 460 Wetherby.

I use a Redding br powder measure.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS rockchucker supreme for single stage work.

Harrells premium culver powder measure--I haven't even heard of anything better, what a nice piece of equipment!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding Ultramag.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the co-ax. I bought it used, I've been using it for 20 years. I've got the Hornady deluxe measure and the pact dispensor coupled with a RCBS elctronic scale.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee Classic cast,,,as good as all the others and then some,,,

all right let me have it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
co-ax #1 everything else BLAH

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i actually have 2 single stage presses on my bench...one is an old cast c type BAIR press made in lincoln neb. it's made so the ram sits at a slight angle back at the top so it's easier to see and use..... my other press right beside it is a lee aluminum press they work quite well for me...the way i have my routine set up...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use a co-ax for most rifle reloading, but bought a bonaza 68 press on e-bay and its large opening facing out makes it easier for my hand with about 90% use to use; also why i use the co-ax press.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What operations are you going to use a single-stage press for? If nothing heavier than normal sizing and seating, then the lightweight Lee Aluminum O-frame is a good as any and better than many. A cheap alternative is to watch ebay for an old used C&H or similar "C" press.

On the other hand, if you intend to do case forming, bullet swaging, or some other "heavy lifting", then one of the larger cast iron "O"-frames is in order. Lyman's Orange Crusher and Lee's new iron O are among the most economical and are just fine. The Redding Boss and Ultramag and offerings from RCBS are a step up in detail, but won't really do anything more than the cheaper ones. The Bonanza Co-ax requires that you retrofit all of your dies with the proper lock rings, so keep that in mind.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a Lyman "Crusher II" a few years ago. I currently just load for my .223 NEF. It works just great. Its a hobby that I have come to enjoy....again.

Posts: 23 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee Classic Cast for me after more presses than I care to admit to.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Bonanza Co-ax requires that you retrofit all of your dies with the proper lock rings, so keep that in mind.

WRONG!! Hornady, RCBS, Lee, Redding and a few unamed lock rings all work in my Coax. The only change made was to re-adjust "screw in depth" to set the die up for the Coax.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
quote:
The Bonanza Co-ax requires that you retrofit all of your dies with the proper lock rings, so keep that in mind.

WRONG!! Hornady, RCBS, Lee, Redding and a few unamed lock rings all work in my Coax. The only change made was to re-adjust "screw in depth" to set the die up for the Coax.

Dittos. I've only had to change a rare few lock rings. Everyone I know who has a co-ax considers it a favorite to other presses by a large margin. I have a rock chucker for my 500 Jeffrey dies, but everything else goes through the co-ax. I also had a Lee O-press, which is a servicable press for the money.

Hands down the co-ax is the most convenient single stage press out there. The time savings from the slide in/out die changes, and the shellholder are a big boon if you load many chamberings, and are contantly swapping dies.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Bobby knows his stuff,,,,,

thumb

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First press I bought was an RCBS Rockchucker good press. I started looking for another press over a year ago...did my research and talk with some guys about what they use...I finally decided on the Forester Co-Ax and very glad I did...It produces great results, strong, easy to use. The Forester locking rings are the best set-up I have used. I load everything from 22-250 to the big Weatherby cases and will try out my new 470 NE on it...good luck with you choice..

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK. I admit I don't know squat....I have only been reloading for a month..(after shooting for 35 years)...But I did a ton of research and asked a LOT of guys at my range what press to get (and money was not an issue). And I should point out that my range is a top 1,000 yard set up with some of the best shooters in the country.
Via there recommendations, I got a Lee single stage set-up (actually the anniversary package)
with sets of lee dies, and an rcbs digital scale, and I could not be happier.
(that scale makes a BIG difference)

CheapGunParts.Com
The ONLY on-line store to specialize in Ruger 10/22 upgrades! And home of the Yellow Jacket Bolt Buffer!

Posts: 55 | Location: Mobile Alabama | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`m another Co-Ax user and also have a Lyman Orange Chrusher on the bench. The Co-ax is very fast to set up, just snap in the die and go, the shell holder works with all cases after setup in a large or small range.
The Orange Chrusher works better in some cases for me. It has a very large window and I prefer it especially for bullet seating in long carridges, one doesn`t have to feed the bullet up in the die to seat.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the Bananza C0-AX press is the best (strongest and fastest) single stage on the market. I've used Hornady, RCBS, Hornady, LEE, and Lyman over the many years and they are all are good units; but the question of "best", feature-for-feature leaves them in second place.

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another Bonanza coaxial press user here for all the same reasons.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Co-Ax, without a doubt

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Noise Maker, Why are you replacing your progressive? Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forster Co-Ax of course.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no question that the Co-ax press is a good one -- maybe the best. But there's no way I would use one with the flimsy aluminum factory lock rings with their rubber o-ring friction system that come on Lee dies.

I have dies of many makes and vintages with locking rings that vary from large to small and from aluminum to steel, and from round to octogon, and from squeeze lock to set screw lock to friction lock, and from thick to thin. They vary in diameter, shape, constuction, and in just about every other way, and there's just no way that ALL of them are compatable with the Co-ax.

So let me correct what I originally said about "retrofitting all" of your dies' locking rings for use in the Co-ax press, to "retrofitting many" of your dies locking rings.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I really like the Lee Classic I bought a few months ago. Got it from Midwayusa. Think it was $65.00 that included shipping.

well made press!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded for 37 yrs. and for more than 100 rifles plus some handguns; I have used a number of presses. I prefer my 20+ yr. old RCBS A-4 "Big Max" to anything else, but, I would like one of the new Redding 7-station turret presses for seating bullets.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used a concentricity gauge to measure the run out of the loaded cartridges produced by your recommended press?

If so, what measeurement range are you getting?

thanks...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old RC 11 and a zero aussie press as well as a little rcbs partner and a dillon I have not set up yet.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim White, I am not replacing my progressive press. It is a Dillon 550 and I like it a lot for general use. One thing I like particularly is that I can leave the dies set up in the tool head and just replace the tool heads when I switch calibers. I was thinking of a single stage or turret press so I could do a couple of operations that my Dillon, with it's space for only four dies does not have room for. Specifically, I recently started loading lead rifle bullets. The bullets were being shaved when I seated them because my Dillon powder drop did not bell the rifle casings like they do my pistol casings. Through the advice of a bunch of great people on this site I learned that I needed a Lyman M Die. I wanted a single stage press set up with this die so I could maintain my Dillon the way I have it set up and still bell the cases.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Noise Maker,

I have been corresponding with John Barsness on presses and dies. He likes the Redding T7 Turret Press, and says it makes excellent loads. You get 7 holes for whatever. It sounds like it would solve your problem.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Jim. I was look at the Redding T7 Turret Press. I think it would fill the role licely and I would have six other holes for any other special applications that come up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't say much about favorite press as I've owned only two. Lee (sold it)and my RCBS rockchucker. Niether ever failed me. The RCBS is more solid.

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a little Lee reloader press (the little cheapie) that i dedicated to decapping.
I use my rockchucker for sizing and case forming, and a RCBS partner for priming and
bullet seating. BTW I just discovered the Vickerman inline seater. Handling those little 30 and 40 gr. Bullets and getting them balanced on top of a Bee or Hornet to get them
started in the regular die with hands the size of mine is a trick. The Vickerman also is supposed to start them straighter. Check out there website. Bob Gemmell is a good guy.

http://www.gmwvickerman.com/

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My primary press is a Bonanza Co-Ax press that is so smooth after 250,000 + rounds that the damn thing almost loads a round by itself. My press for bullet pulling, case forming, and Large caliber cases is the Redding ultra mag. With this pair you need no other.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Hunter Jim,

I measured runout for my reloads from two presses. My RCBS Rockchucker ran from .005.-.007. My Redding Turret press (old 6 station model 25) had a runout of .007-.010.
Sometimes it was slightly better, sometimes slightly worse.
It's not all the presses fault though. My reloads using Redding NS "S" dies in either press reduced the runout considerably. In my more accurate heavy barreled varmint rifles I switched to Wilson knock out NS dies and no longer use a press, just a little raw hide mallet. Out of roundness is almost non-existent with them. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted Hide Post
Rock Chucker, why because its the only Single stage I own....

People kill people, Not guns.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote