New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wipeout users
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have cleaned several guns per instructions to where the patches finally came out clean.Today I had one totally clean according to the patch and then run a patch with oil thru the bore seeing as how I was not planning on shooting this gun for a while.The oiled patch came out totally black,after the previous patches of Wipeout had came out clean.What is the deal?Has anyone else had this to happen?I was satisfied with the results and ease of Wipeout,but now I do not know what to think.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I've only cleaned about 5 guns with wipeout and havent had this happen. You might want to call the manufacturer and get his opinion.
I can say this--I've taken a few spotless barrels and run some "flitz" on a patch through them and they come out black to. I'll be damned if I know what it is that does it. Now if I'm inclined to use a little flitz I do so lightly on a patch with kroil. I think I have to damn many cleaning things sitting around!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. The patch was lightly oiled with Break Free and came out dark grey (this after thoroughly cleaning with Wipe Out). I have no idea what it is but I feel certain the barrel is clean of all fouling and copper. Perhaps someone will shed some light on this. Otherwise I have been pleased with Wipe Out and will continue to use is.

Posts: 80 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Something smells here. If the barrel was truly clean with no residue, your oil patch should show no indication. I hope you can obtain a reasonable (and honest) answer from the manufacture.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered two cans yesterday and spoke with the manufacturer. His instruction to me for cleaning were to apply, let it sit overnight, and swab it out. Then to reapply and let it sit for 20 mins. and swab again. If there was no blue, it was clean. If there was, start again and let is sit overnight. His explanation was that half cleaning a rifle will leave layers of fouling that has to be cleaned out by layer.

I don't know how you all cleaned you rifles, but this is what the "Man" said. Ku-dude

posted Hide Post
sll,
I have used wipe out for almost three years, and have never had a patch with oil come out black. When I put patches through the gun after applying Wipe-Out I will push enough through that there is no moisture or color left. When the patches come through wet and still clear you should then decided to push a patch with oil you will not see black patches. This per my experience.

Posts: 21 | Location: Las Vegas NV | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using Mpro-7 right now but have some wipe-out on the way.
I don't know if this same theory applies for this product but it seems to make some sense.

The patch might come out a very light gray. If there is no visible fouling, stop cleaning. The light gray material is microscopic carbon deposits actually being pulled out of the pores of the metal and does not have a significant impact on accuracy. In addition, it will be removed in subsequent cleanings until a point will be reached where the patches will come out white every time.

Once the bbl. is conditioned future cleaning is just to easy to be true, I have a couple of 'clean, conditioned' bbls that are waiting for the Wipe-Out to arrive so I can see if it is as good as stated.

I have been talking with Terry and will be the west coast dealer for Wipe-Out
looks like prices will be $13.99 Shipped I should have a case in the shop today or tommorow, it was shipped out Mon.
Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe out is a copper cleaner and it works great, put it in and leave it a few hours and swab it out......your basically done but you may have to do one more time on a really badly fouled rifle.

What you are getting is powder fouling residue and it should be cleaned out prior to using wipe out...any good cleaner like Rem Oil, boreshine, Hoppes or whatever will take out powder fouling...then swab with Alcohol, then dry and use Wipe out. then oil profusly...

Remember that getting a barrel squeeky clean is not necessary nor desirable...otherwise you would have to clean between each shot....always fire a couple of fouling shots prior to sight in or group testing to get some copper fouling back in the bore....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey are the wipeout guys at paul co slow or what i ordered mine like last thursday seven now eight days ago i can't wait to try it seems like good stuff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fats,

Both times I have ordered the product it has taken three weeks or so to arrive.

I was told they were trying to stock distributors as well as having problems with the company that packages the product for them.

I would really like to have the distributors that have product ready to sell post their pricing and contact data here. I know there have been a couple of posts from gentlemen that are now distributing Wipe Out and the others PaulCo chemicals.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<monyhunter>
posted
I just ordered my first can of wipe out today, so I can't comment if it works or not. But I also have been using Mpro-7 for the past two years or so. I actually just got done cleaning my 7mm about 10 minutes ago. No matter how long I spend cleaning my gun, I have NEVER been able to get it to the point of not black "land" marks on a patch. I can push a dry patch through with very little marks, but the next wet then dry sequence produces more land marks. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong, but I don't think it affect accuracy.

I am excited to try wipeout. One other question. A few months ago there was a big thing about Fastex. I tried to do a search and could not find any postings that listed a website with more info on Fastex. I also could not find anything when using web search engines. Any help?