THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Can I use brass from which bullets were pulled without sizing it?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use brass from which bullets were pulled without sizing it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I have pulled some bullets (using kinetic puller) and was wondering if I could reload the brass without sizing it? Can I use the primers that are still in the brass? NOTE: I sized and loaded these initially, but changed my mind about the load.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried to reload brass that has been disassembled and usually the necks are loose enough that the bullets aren't seated snug enough to keep them in place. You can remove the decapping pin from your sizing die and then size them without romoving the new primer if you want, but you will need to lube the brass unless you are loading straight walled cases with carbide sizing die.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red C.:
I have pulled some bullets (using kinetic puller) and was wondering if I could reload the brass without sizing it? Can I use the primers that are still in the brass? NOTE: I sized and loaded these initially, but changed my mind about the load.

You can, but your neck tension will be inconsistent, thus, whatever you stuff in them will not shoot as well as you hope. I have pulled loads and always resize without punching the primer out as mentioned above.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:
Originally posted by Red C.:

You can, but your neck tension will be inconsistent, thus, whatever you stuff in them will not shoot as well as you hope. I have pulled loads and always resize without punching the primer out as mentioned above.

Me too, but I have a few sets of neck sizing dies for the cartidges I play with the most. Just lightly lube the outside of the necks and run them through the die with the decapping pin removed.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
It's an unfired case so, other than the neck, the case dimensions are unchanged.

Just back the full length resizing die out a full turn, remove the decapping pin and resize the neck - no problem.

There's no problem with using the primers either.

Reading the Instructions - a sure sign of weakness and uncertainty.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote