Find
Notify
Tools

Long term storage of reloaded ammo?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
I want to reload a couple thousand rounds and set aside for future use, Any suggestions?

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
should be no problem just load up and enjoy

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white eagle:
should be no problem just load up and enjoy

And store it properly, cool and dry in suitable containers.

I just shot some factory ammo this AM that was at least 50 yrs old that had been "well stored". Worked like I bought it yesterday

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you need to know in SAAMI's easily read list of recommendations.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Military ammo cans.

In a cool place.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you will be storing the ammo, if in a dwelling or attached garage/shed I wouldn't be storing in a strong container such as military ammo cans.
In the event of a fire a larger quantity of ammo inside a such a container will become a bomb.
Store in plastic containers which will melt in a fire and allow the ammo to cook off harmlessly enough i.e. powder will burn and projectiles do not become flying hazards due to the lack of pressure build up.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
does anyone use a desiccant in their containers to keep stuff dry? I think I'll start doing that with my bulk ammo.

I've found that the large plastic, screw on lid, protein powder containers work great and the lids are water/air tight but I'd feel even better with a packet of desiccant in there too.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
does anyone use a desiccant in their containers to keep stuff dry? I think I'll start doing that with my bulk ammo.

Yes, I use those small packs that come inside containers of various goods. I live in a humid climate and I think they help keep the storage zone drier. Got some inside my gun safes and gun cupboard too.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2091 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good alternative use for a Foodsaver. Vacuum packed ammo. Totally eliminates the moisture issue.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy bulk desiccant from a window maker's.
They use lots of it making double paned windows.

When I bought a bunch for a window wall I got 2 quarts of it for the asking in '89.

Over the years it may have sucked some moisture in. This stuff can be spread on a cookie sheet in the over an hour or so at 200-250 to dry it out.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry AP, but I'm inclined to wonder about dangers in the project. Though modern powders are probably stable enough to be safe for a generation or two, there is some question about whether the brass is.

A writer here called William Hambly-Clark Jr believes the bullets can become 'welded' to the cases, maybe by some kind of electrolysis, when kept for a long time. This he thinks may increase pressures. His answer is to not seat bullets too deeply for a start and to push them to the final depth just before use.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have reloads I made in the 70's.

Still shoot without any problems.

Only thing I found was that the case lube I used then, the RCBS sticky stuff, causes corrosion to form at the case mouth.

You can see it plainly, and those I disguard.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have reloads from 1963 through 1968 using a Lee whack-a-mole system all in 30–06
Once a year I drag out a box take it to the range and it all goes bang accuracy is 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 100 yards which considering how it was reloaded – crude to say the least back then quite happy with it don’t use it for anything other than going to the range and punching holes in paper but at 60+ years since it’s been reloaded it all goes bang I keep it in the house climate controlled so maybe that has something to do with its longevity

I suspect I will be long gone and it will still be working lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have experienced problems with older, stored rounds using H870 powder. It will 'cake', sticking in the case, and I consider it unreliable. I dismantle the rounds and scrape the powder out of the cases, wash them in boiling water, de-prime, and start over.

Posts: 874 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Sorry AP, but I'm inclined to wonder about dangers in the project. Though modern powders are probably stable enough to be safe for a generation or two, there is some question about whether the brass is.

A writer here called William Hambly-Clark Jr believes the bullets can become 'welded' to the cases, maybe by some kind of electrolysis, when kept for a long time. This he thinks may increase pressures. His answer is to not seat bullets too deeply for a start and to push them to the final depth just before use.

None of this is incorrect

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ted,
I've sent you a PM.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote