THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heaviest bullets in .223 Rem with Blue Dot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've had great success with 40-gr bullets and Blue Dot in my .223 Rem. What kind of problems would I run into shooting, say, 55-60 gr bullets? I would decrease my starting loads, of course. I am currently getting 2700 fps out of 40-gr bullets with 12 gr of powder with no pressure signs, so I would probably cut back to 10 gr of powder and work up until they chrono at 2500 fps. That's my goal: is it realistic or does pressure spike rapidly with heavier bullets and Blue Dot? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
60 gr Hornady TAP bullet soft point with 13 gr Blue Dot killed a couple hundred ground squirels for me and my .223 Ruger #1. It cuts the rodents in half.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
11 grains behind the NEI .224-71-gc worked very well.

never to forgive. never to forget. never to give up.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My loading parameters, using Rem or Winchester or Lake City brass ( Max Loads) are:

40 to 46 grain bullets: 14.5 grains of Blue Dot for an MV of 3250 fps

50 grain bullets : 14 grains of Blue Dot for an MV about 3100 fps

55 grain bullets: 13.5 grains of Blue Dot for an MV of about 3000 fps

60 grain bullets: 13 grains of Blue Dot for an MV of 2800 to 2850 fps.

This is from a 24 inch barrel.

In my load data, I listed all of these bullet weights with velocities from loads with 4 grains or so up to maximum recommendation. ( with the warning of work up to max, and develop a regimen to eliminate double charges on the lower end.

Max capacity for a 223 case is about 20 grains or blue dot or less ( down to 18 with PMC cases tested). Since max is around 13 grains with a 60 grain bullet, one only really has to be real concerned about a double charge if you are loading in the 7 or 8 grain areas.

Double charge of less than that amount is still safe for pressures, and over that amount, you should be able to see that you have too much if you look, it will be right up to the top of the case.

Pressure will not spike, but remember it being a faster powder, overload parameters are closer together, than medium or slow powders.

Cheers
seafire

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote