New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would this load be humane enough??
 Login/Join

<Win94>
posted
Fellas, forgive me if i placed this topic in the wrong forum. I need some experienced input here. Would a .379 cast 245 grain load at 22bhn with velocity of 1566fps be humane enough for Whitetail out to 125 yards?? at 125 yards it would have 1276fps left and 886 ft lbs. What do you all think??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but a softer alloy wouldn't hurt you. Might hurt the deer more though. 22BHN is a bit hard. At the velocity you're shooting Lyman #2 would work methinks, and shouldn't lead. Too, you could use pure lead and paper patch for near 2000 fps MV. That's very humane. Shootin' a .375 Win.? .38-55? .375 H&H?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
240 grains at 1250 fps is pretty good numbers at the muzzle of a 44 Magnum or 45 Colt revolver. If hunting at powder burn distance with either of these hangun calibers is humane, I think your rifle load is too.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Win94>
posted
Its a .38-55 The bullet is plain based.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I have killed several whitetail bucks with a 6.5X55 with cast bullets at these velocities with no problem, I doubt the extra frontal mass will present any difficulties. Shoot, and wait a few secounds. They will fall over as dead as you can kill them, assuming they are hit properly.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P.S. Make sure they are a flat point bullet!

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
the .375 inch bullets kill very effectivly . S Williams In his book Winchester Lever Legacy states that in 37 caliber bullets in lead seem to kill deer as well as the jacketed bullets at a reduced cost . S farmed a lot of land and culled a lot of deer of of his fields . His remarks were not a guess but a result of game and reporting about it . a 375 marlin is my favorite hog hunting rifle .

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm using a 260 grain at a speed not much faster than you are using. It has accounted for a few mule deer does here in Colorado. Never had one go much more than 30 or so steps. Most just dropped. [Smile]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote