Find
Notify
Tools

North Fork bullets and the 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I am going to be working up some loads with the 370 grain North Fork FPS and CPS bullets for my 416 Rigby. Other components are Norma Brass and Fed 215M primers. For those of you with some experience with these bullets in this cartridge, do you have better results when you seat the bullet to the first crimping groove (first when coming from the nose of the bullet) or seating them furthur out? Since I can use only French (Tubal 8000 or SP12) and Vihta powders (N165 would be my choice)my question is more about potential feeding problems rather than seating depth with respect to ballistic results with American powders.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just looked, mine are 3.700 oAL which is about the second groove on the bullet. Mine will group into 1/2 in. or less (smallest .256) with 105 grains of H4831SC for 2550 fps. They feed very well. Mine is a bit more tempermental feeding with the FP north forks with regard to OAL.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

If your rifle was not "set up" to need the FPS or CPS they may or may not feed. Load up a few dummy rounds, I would start seating @ the last/first (closest to nose of bullet) crimp groove and find what works, if possible.

I had one CZ that would not feed the FN bullets, on my 416 Rigby I had Roger Ferrell adjust the feeding specifically for the CPS and after Roger's adjustments all worked just fine.

Good luck...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote