Find
Notify
Tools

Herters .40 S&W brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
Where we live in Idaho most of the people just go out into the desert and shoot on public land.

I've picked up a fair amount of brass from some of these spots and lately there seems to be a lot of Herters .40 brass. After cleaning and tumbling this stuff I'm having problems seating primers in them. Many times requiring a second go and a lot of pressure on the arm to seat them to the right depth. This isn't the case with other brass and it got to the point where I separated out this Herters stuff and am wondering what to do with it.

I'm thinking the primer pocket is undersized for some reason and wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and what was your solution???

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
If it has a crimped in primer you will need to remove ithe crimp.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
If it has a crimped in primer you will need to remove ithe crimp.

I've reloaded military brass many times and this primer pocket is different that those rounds.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Is This the coated BRASS? you could use a champering tool and cut the edge of the pocket. that will alow the primer to start easier.
I would try and swadge a few and see if the primers seated any better.
Also use a prime like remington. They have a little stiffer cup.
i had a problem with cci primers in mil brass and changing to 9 1/2 rem solved the crushing problem for me.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is This the coated BRASS? you could use a champering tool and cut the edge of the pocket. that will alow the primer to start easier.
I would try and swadge a few and see if the primers seated any better.
Also use a prime like remington. They have a little stiffer cup.
i had a problem with cci primers in mil brass and changing to 9 1/2 rem solved the crushing problem for me.

I just looked at some of that brass and I don't think it's coated but it has been through a vinegar salt wash and then a walnut shell tumbler. However I do that before I size and deprime the cases so the primer pocket is not affected by the above processes.

I'm going to have to decide whether to hit it with a chamfering tool once or just dump them. I have close to 250-300 cases for the .40 in this label but also have a couple thousand other .40 cases so dumping them would not be a loss. The shelves of the LGS seem to be getting a lot of this ammo in due to it's price and we are seeing more and more cases being left behind from the shooters.

I thought Herters went out of business a long time ago and now someone else is actually making this brass under their name. But not sure about that. Is it Fiocchi out of Italy as the manufacturer?

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I am not sure who makes it?
If you dont want to put the effort into it now, bag it. if you get in a place where its hard to get 40 brass it would come in handy.
Dave

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure who makes it?
If you dont want to put the effort into it now, bag it. if you get in a place where its hard to get 40 brass it would come in handy.
Dave

Good advice....will do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO 40 S&W brass is so plentiful and available that you are wasting your time far*ing around with crimped primer pockets. Besides, the only crimped primer pockets I have ever experienced in pistol brass is with military issued ammunition, such as the 9mm Luger. The 40 S&W is not a military cartridge, so I suspect your priming troubles are due to other issues.