New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot in an AR-15?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this has been beat to death, but I am going blind trying to read all the old posts on BD, so I figured I would start from scratch, sorry.

I have loaded several cartridges with Seafire's BD data with excellent results. I have used BD in bolt actions and also in my Ruger Mini-30, now I want to try it in my AR-15.
I know BD will not cycle the action and I will have to load single shot. What I don't know is about "timing". I thought I read someplace that fast powders like BD can cause serious problems with the AR timing causing the action to open before it's time causing a Blue-Dot-AR-Kaboom. True???

So, I want to try it and I would like to hear from those that have tried it.

Thanks
Steve

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The powder 'speed' will not cause the bolt to open too soon, the 'timing' issue I think you are referring to is controlled by the bullet passing the port, not the powder burning rate. High port pressure and a large gas volume can cause the bolt to blow back more harshly and batter the buffer, but in the case of BD the port pressure and gas volumes will be less than with more 'normal' .223 powders like W748.

I tried a few BD rounds (not max) in my CAR-15 and nothing bad happened...the bolt tried to open but would not cycle back.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried it in an AR, as I don't own one...

a few guys locally tried it, and found it would not recycle the bolt...

I just wouldn't want you to mess up something...

but if you did, I am sure Hot Core would appreciate being the first one to know about it..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't reload this cartridge, but I have used Blue Dot in magnum handguns. It shot fine, but it was filthy. Gun and hands get full of black residue from 41 and 44 mag revolvers. I would worry about all that residue in the gas tube, etc.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BlueDot at rifle pressures burns quite cleanly, cleaner than many traditional "rifle" powders as far as residue goes. Low-pressure .44 Magnum loads are apples and oranges as a comparison.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote