New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 STW and 140VLD's or 142 SMK's?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if anyone had any loading data for the VLD type of bullets in the 6.5 STW. As soon as I receive my reamer I'll build mine on a Hart 1000yd contour with a 1 in 9 twist, 30" long. I have some old JLK 140 VLD's but in previous rifles they have performed poorly so I might pick up some bergers and/or sierra's to try out. Any other bullets that might be worth a look?

Thanks
Nathan

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nathan;

While a 6.5 STW is not my cup of tea, I do shoot a lot of 6.5 mm in the smaller cases.

I can tell you from the experience I have had is that the Bergers are not velocity friendly for accuracy.

Between the pair mentioned, I would go with the Sierras.

If you really want rockandroll velocity out of that rig, If you ever load up some Sierra 107 grain match bullets in that, I would be interested to here what kind of velocity and performance that you get from that load.

Good luck with the STW tho.
Cheers,
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

Have you tried any of the LRB 120's? With a BC of .687 and driven to 3600 or so they ought to make a great long range deer round. I have a 6.5-.284 right now as well but I have had this hart barrel for 7-8years and thought I'd build a barn burner out of it. Basically I'm running out of things to try other than the WSM's and RUM's but I have a .375 barrel waiting for me to chamber in .375 RUM. I also have a fluted HV barrel that is going to be made into a 300 RUM. As you can tell I like hot rods but I shoot a lot of chuck's with 2 6mm's and I just finished a 6BR 8 twist. For dramatic effect the 30-338 is hard to beat on chucks though . The .416 might even see some action this spring

one of us
posted Hide Post
IdahoCTD,

I do not have a 6.5 STW but I do have a 6.5x300 Weatherby Mag which is just about identical to the STW.. In fact I have used the 7STW brass for my 6.5x300.. I shoot the 142 SMK's and the 139gr Norma's right around 34-3500fps in a 30" 1 1/4dia. Shilen straight tube with a 8 twist.. My current 6.5x300 is blown out to a 40� shoulder with a .294 neck.. I use 84-87grs. of H-870 I have also used 84-87grs. of WC872 in my rig.. Good luck with the project they sure are bbl burners!!

6.5 Bandit

one of us
posted Hide Post
YOU are a wild man! Hope to maybe get the opportunity to sit down over a cup of coffee with you one day and hear about some of those toys.

Hope you are not undergunned with that 416 on rock chucks.

Good shooting!

Cheers,
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

I use to get over your way quite a bit for work but not anymore. I was over in the Eugene area racing my truck last year though. I think I ran a 12.53 @ 110mph or so. Not bad for a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel huh? It should be well in the 11's this year though.

As far as guns go I have been out of building gun for 5-6 years until recently (never gave up hunting though). A buddy of mine got a divorce and the interest for both of us just kinda went away. I had probably made 50+ guns by that time (it use to be my main hobby but going fast is pretty addictive). Now he has kinda got me back into it.

Some extra large holes drilled in those .416 bullets ought to make things interesting plus that gun is incrediably accurate (several sub 1/2" 3 shot groups already).

Nathan