New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Rem Mag Question
 Login/Join

<WSJ>
posted
I just purchased an M700 Classic in this caliber and I've got some questions.

I've been through lots of load data (including that here at Accurate Reloading) and am wondering why this cartridge should be limited to the usual max velocities shown. I'm not hell bent on making it operate at 358 STA velocities, mind you, but the SAAMI pressure of only 53,000 (psi? cup?) seem to suggest one could safely get more velocity. The basic cartridge case (a belted magnum variant) and M700 action would seem up to it. An 8mm Rem Mag, in the same M700 Classic, operates at 63,000 psi or so, right?

What would be wrong with this cartridge/rifle combination operating at 60,000 psi? 358 Norma velocities appear attainable even with the lesser capacity of the Remington. Anyone have any pressure tested loads to confirm my suspicion? Or does the 1 in 16" twist of the 350 make higher velocities unrealistic? I'm just curious.

Thanks. -WSJ

"Curiosity killed the cat" (but at least I'm asking around first).

<North of 60>
posted
A pretty long delay since this question was posted but I just stumbled onto this board. I am a long time 350 fan and have used mine in Northern Canada for the last decade or so. I have a well worn Rem 660. My experience has been that the maximum loads listed in the present day manuals are good safe loads that need not be improved on. Some older data such as that found in Rifle and Handloader magazine at the time of the cartridge introduction is a little hotter but tends to wreck brass after a few reloadings. 4320 and RL15 are my present favourites and I have switched to 225 grain bullets for all use. Nosler Partition for Moose, Hawk Flat Noses for deer and caribou in the woods and Sierra's for the barren ground. Greatest all-round rig I have ever seen for North America and it stows nicely in my canoe or Komatiq. Only thing I like better is my pair of 6.5 Rem Mags.... now there is an underated combo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
North of 60,

Please elaborate on your pair of 6.5 Rem Mags and why you perceive it/them as underrated. Thanks!

BigIron (35 & 6.5 fan)

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
There just ain't no way you're going to make a 350 rem mag match 358 norma specs, thats like making 450 marlin, aka 458X2" into a 458 win mag, just ain't going to happen.

On the other hand, the 350 rem mag is a tootin close match to the 35 whelen, and if you can't kill something with a 250 gr bullet at 2400 fps, you need a much bigger gun, or some work on your shot placement.

Load for accuracy, not max speed, another 100-150 fps makes no difference in trajectory or killing power, but does dramatically increase chamber pressure, and wear and tear on your gun.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<North of 60>
posted
Big Iron: O.K. here goes. My Two 6.5 Rem Mags are a Rem 660 with a Wack of caribou and seals to it's credit, and a Ruger flatbolt that became my summer caribou Rack gun. I love this caliber because it gives .270 class ballistics in a light handy rifle. 120 grain bullets with an equal sectional density and ballistic coefficient to a 130 grain 270 bullet can be easily given 3000ft/sec in a 20" Barrel and about 3100 in a 22" . I owned a .260 for a while and at the same pressure could't get within 200 ft/sec of these levels. At it's introduction the 6.5 took all kinds of guff by people who were horrified by an original idea. P.O. Ackley who was past his prime at this time said that short fat cases were " not of the best design" This was sometime before the 6mm PPC or Lazzeroni or the 300 WSM. Folks insisted in putting 140 grain bullets in it and norticed that you had to seat them deep. Well, first of all a 6.5 bullet doesn't take up that much powder space and folks who went out hunting with these little carbines like Les Bowman noticed that on deer size game the 120's killed better. My 660 will easily shoot a 140 grain bullet to 2850+ and shade the MOA barrier to 300 yards. The Ruger does 70-100 ft/sec more with it's 22" barrel. In the northern wilderness I like a small handy carbine that fits in the Komatiq or canoe and yet shoots flat. Untill the 300WSM nothing else really fit the bill.
I like the caliber so much that I am getting another Ruger rebarreled to 6.5, this one will have a 26" heavy barrel and outfitted for long range varmint hunting. I picked up nearly 1000 rounds of factory ammo up in Nunavut where it was found at various Northern stores likely ordered by mistake instead of 6.5x 55. I bought 520 rounds in Igloolik alone at a negotiated 5.00/box. It had been there for a decade waiting for me. Love it!