New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 tcu
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
New to list, looking for any loads or opinions for 6.5 tcu 10" contender barrel.I am buying barrel next week.
thanks.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
I have a 10" 6.5 TCU barrel, and enjoy it very much. My favorite bullets are the 120 gr. Speer and 129 gr. Rem. Core-Lokt. The Speer works well on antelope, but I have not had a chance to try the Rem. bullet on critters. I consistently get 3/4" to 1" 5-shot groups if I do my part. My favorite load is with 29.0 gr. of BL-C(2) in Rem. brass with Rem. 7-1/2 primers. This load is a little less than the manuals list a maximum, but is about all my barrel will handle. T/C barrels are generally throated really long for the heavy bullets the silhouete shooters like, so you have to seat the 120 gr. bullets way out. I feel that for game animals the 120 gr. is about the best weight in this caliber. I have shot deer and antelope also with the .30 Herrett and the 7-30 Waters, and really can't tell much difference between the three. If the bullet expands and penetrates well, I don't think the actual energy level means much. Basically the 6.5 TCU is easy to load, accurate, and kills efficiently. Enjoy your new barrel.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote