Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Ruger & 340gr VLD bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted
Good results today with the Cutting Edge Bullets 340gr MTH V15 bullet and Re15 at 2520 fps muzzle speed from my .416 Ruger Alaskan (20" 1:14 twist barrel). Got my Nikon 3-9x scope calibrated for this load using their Spot On app.

For 300 yards at 8x I held dead center with the 2nd ballistic circle - 279 yard zero according to the app - so a bit low at 300 yards. Evening breeze from right to left. Close enough to put the smackdown on heavy game at that range. And well beyond. Ballistics compared - 340gr V15 vs. 350gr TTSX.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com...tch-tactical-hunting

Oddly, a couple of Deer entered the range!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice report, as usual. Has the Hogue stock front screw loosened? Didn't notice/check it on my .375 till groups started stringing.

This is picking a nit with Ruger, but I really like the stock shims feature on my guide model and sure wish they'd offer the same on the Hogue stock. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It's just a dummy screw at the forend bottom of the .416 Ruger Alaskan. Free floating barrel. Barrel band used for the front swivel stud.

On the Hogue stock .375 Ruger Alaskan I believe the screw holds the swivel stud. The screw goes through the forend to attach to the barrel?