Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 Reloads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone just neck sizing for the AR-15

Posts: 73 | Location: Haines City.FL.USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't do it. No one is neck sizing in the High Power crowd and these are the folks (including me) who are ringing the accuracy out of the AR platform. I've seen the aftermath of an out of battery firing, you don't want to be near one,ever.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At best you'll just have a lot of jams. At worst, you'll lose a finger or worse, in the event of an out of battery fire.

I wouldn't even do neck sizing for hunting ammo used in a bolt action. Imagine how stupid you would feel if the tophy of a lifetime is getting away because you can't chamber a round easily.

Save that for benchresting.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
always full length resize.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info

Posts: 73 | Location: Haines City.FL.USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is a standard full length die ok, or do you need a Small base-circle die to reliably feed in an AR?

Posts: 198 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a standard Ar15 rifle and chamber (ie, not a Spacegun) I would recommend a small base. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the wylde chamber from RRA that is coming on my NM upper?

Posts: 198 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wylde chamber is designed slightly on the large size to accept almost any 5.56/223 brass you can put in it. It does so quite well and accurately according to somethings I have read, so I would guess that standard 223 dies would work fine.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will be pleased with your Rock River Micmac. Standard full length size dies will work, I've been around a LOT of AR's and never seen one that needed small base dies.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by micmac:
Is a standard full length die ok, or do you need a Small base-circle die to reliably feed in an AR?

micmac, The standard fl sizing dies have worked well in many 223 semis and full auto for me. A custom match grade chamber may be different.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason I suggest the use of small base dies is because for some ARs you can not be sure if it has a Nato chamber or a 223. Yes there are differences, the Nato chamber is larger. The military designed it this way to allow the use of any manufactured ammo to work in the rifle and also allow room incase of dirt building up during combat. Now if your Ar15 has a different chamber, usually the SAAMI 223, your chamber will be slightly tight for using surplus 5.56 brass, therefore one should use small base dies to be on the safe side when firing in a rifle where the chamber specs are not quite known.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, from what I've read, the dimensions of the chamber are identical. The difference is in the throat, which is longer on the 5.56. Another .223 chamber is the "Wylde" chamber, which is between the two in throat length.

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To finish my thought (mind isn't working real fast this morning) I use standard Lee dies and full length resize for my RRA (Wylde). Haven't had a problem with LC or Winchester brass in a couple of thousand rounds. IMHO, small base dies aren't necessary and will reduce the life of your brass by overworking.

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote