Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced 220 Swift loads.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted
Where can I find some reloading data to get my swift down to 1500 to 2000 FPS? I have found all kinds of information on the 223 and 22 hornet but not a swift or 22-250.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcorn If you send me your E-Mail address I'll send you Sea Fire's data on the 22-250 and his blue dot loads. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to why you want to run such low velocity loads in a Swift?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I can get the load data of Blue dot in a 22 250 off the internet.

I want the swift slow enough I can use it on squirrels with out field dressing skinning and cooking them in the field.
I also don't want to have to buy a 22 hornet or be held hostage any longer for the want of rim fire ammo.

Big Grin Al

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
55gr. bullet 9 to 13 grains of Trail Boss 1600 to1900 fps. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You can use any pistol powder for any caliber for reduced loads.

My favorite is UNIQUE.

But, you can use practically anything to meet your needs.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68783 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:
You can use any pistol powder for any caliber for reduced loads.

tu2what Saeed says but it isn't for the faint of heart , inexperienced or those who are just careless looking for an ambulance ride. beerroger

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I have used Blue Dot, Red Dot and Unique for reduced loads a variety of cartridges, including the 220 Swift. I suggest you use the published 22-250 load, and adjust over the chronograph until you get the velocity and groups you want. Lyman #44 shows 6-9 grains of Unique with a 58 grain cast bullet. I'd start some where around there. Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
quote:
isn't for the faint of heart , inexperienced or those who are just careless looking for an ambulance ride.

Yup that is why I am looking for published data.

Big Grin Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also don't want to have to buy a 22 hornet or be held hostage any longer for the want of rim fire ammo.

I thought you had a Ruger 22 Hornet and loaded it down to hunt. Does that not work for you?

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Yup I do have a 22 hornet that works fine but while squirrel hunting along a corn field a bit ago I see a coyote across it about 250 yards. Be nice to slip in a full 3808fps 220 round and pop it if it happens again.

Big Grin Al

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The Trail Boss data was published for the 22-250.
Again 55 gr. SPR SP
9.1 grains > 1664 fps.> 17,200 PSI.

13 grains > 1984 fps.> 26,600 PSI.

This is a fluffy powder. 14 grs. will fill a .308 case close to the shoulder neck junction.
I was advised that it does not like to be compressed . I'm not sure what the ramifications are when compressed. Perhaps someone can jump in here and let us know. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
My kids shoot Blue-dot in a .22-250 with 45 gr Barnes X for just about everything they hunt. I will have to look up my charge...but it came from Seafire's data. It is a great load and accurate...kills the heck out of deer & pigs...shoots like a .22 hornet.

I chrono'ed it at about 2600 fps.

For your desired vel...TB is probably the best bet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37893 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toss another log on the fire for
Seafire's Blue Dot data. I have used it successfully and safely for well over 10 years- works well in 22-250, 243, 270 and 30-06 for me.

In todays litigious environment, I would never publish what Seafire did - but thank him for it.
Today I would simply go with Trail Boss and use their information-cannot get into overcharged territory when using it.

Gary

posted Hide Post
Speer #12 lists the following loads.

Ruger 77V
26" 1 in 16 twist barrel
W-W case
CCI Primer

40gr Spire SP
SR4759 10.5 to 12.5 grains
1662 to 1973fps

45gr Spitz SP
SR4759 10.5 to 12.5 grains
1631 to 1938fps

50gr Spitz SP
SR4759 11 to 13 grains
1669 to 1997fps

52gr HP
SR4759 11 to 13 grains
1680 to 2001fps

55gr Spitz SP
SR4759 11.5 to 13.5 grains
1709 to 2000fps

70gr Semi Spitz SP
SR4759 12 to 14 grains
1642 to 1906 fps

Posts: 16 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 20 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
55gr. bullet 9 to 13 grains of Trail Boss 1600 to1900 fps. beer roger

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

Simple and foolproof as long as you don't compress the load. Easy too....accuracy is good.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks now to workup a slow load and then figure out the drop difference so I can carry a couple of full loads for that sneaky coyote.

Big Grin Al