Find
Notify
Tools

h-870 temp stability???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I found some h870 just barely got it, I was wondering how temp stable this stuff is, compared to another power like say ramshot magnum. I am wanting to use this for a 264 win mag, my 264 seems to be very picky about what it likes and a temp change one way or another seems to open groups dramatically.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
I found some h870 just barely got it, I was wondering how temp stable this stuff is, compared to another power like say ramshot magnum. I am wanting to use this for a 264 win mag, my 264 seems to be very picky about what it likes and a temp change one way or another seems to open groups dramatically.
popcorn Probably depends how old it is . In the mid to late 60s I used this stuff a lot and succeeded in depositing what looked like a mica deposit on the barrels that was a son of a gun to get rid of. Stopped using it all together. fishingreally bad stuf at that time. thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using my allotment of H 870 for many many years an it works NICELY for me .

I would discourage it's use only because it's no longer available . So if your looking to prefect a

particular cartridge with it . It will be short lived . Nice slow burn Magnum pressure curve though .

Excellent FPS too CUP in large case capacity . Originally developed for the Vulcan round I believe .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey CC, I agree with it leaving a tenacious residue. Fortunately Bruce Hodgdon explained that it can be removed by making a Paste out of "Bon Ami"(non-scouring cleanser) and your favorite Bore Cleaner.

I used H870 with 150gr bullets in 7mmRemMags for a good number of years and it left a very tough to remove residue. The Bon Ami Paste mix cut right through it.

It burns "cleaner" with HEAVIER bullets.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my experience, H870 is very temperature sensitive. Some years back, I worked up a nice load for a 264 in cool fall weather. Worked like a champ. Then one summer, I was going to shoot that rifle at the range in hot weather. Resulted in very stiff bolt. So I did what any logical person would do, I only shot that load in cool weather! Big Grin

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote