New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pwder measure upgrade
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For years, I've been using the Lee powder measure that came with the Challenger kit that originally got me started in rifle cartridge reloading. The ammo that this gear has loaded has been very accurate, so no complaints about the results. However, when using finer grain powders, like Win 748, small amounts of powder pass around the measure and fall out the side. Small amounts each time, but it is annoying and wasteful. I've tightened it up to shrink the gaps, but then it takes two hands to work the measure - not what the designers had in mind, I'm sure. Any suggestions for how to fix this one so that this won't happen. Or how about a better measure in the $60-80 range? Thanks.

Posts: 135 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying a Redding and I've never been happier, my Lee was just as you decribe too. [Wink] Best measurer I've used so far, and have no need for another now but, if I did, it would be a Redding for sure. [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent, which Redding measure do you use? Sounds like a solid reccommendation. Thanks.

Posts: 135 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
If you do upgrade, save the Lee for exruded powders. No other measure does better.

Martindog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Ebay _ picked up my RCBS for under $30, including shipping. I am VERY happy with the RCBS. Even powders like Bullseye meter well, as small as 3.5g loads. Very consistant!

Posts: 54 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Hornady and a Redding. I prefer the Redding as it cuts extruded powders better and is easier to adjust.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Redding cuts powder with ease, meters beautifully, better than the RCBS I used to use or the Lee. It's the Model #3k Combo... that's what it says on the box. It will meter up to 100gr. [Smile] I modified it by drilling and tapping another hole to drop 125gr to load my 416wby. [Wink]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
Ditto on the Lee for extruded powders. I bought the Lee just for long grain powders and am happy I did. That was the best $17.64 I spent on the reloading set up to date lol

cheap, plastic, looks like it shouldnt work, feels like a toy, but measures the long grains like a charm. I use a Uniflow for the rest and the Lee for my Varget and IMR 4064 and it works great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever found a measure that handles IMR-800X very well? The large flakes are a pain. I have quite a bit of this propellant and don't want to weigh every charge.

Cheers,
BigIron

[ 05-13-2003, 20:37: Message edited by: BigIron ]