New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana X-treme solvent: I'm impressed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was so impressed after calling Montana x-treme yesterday I just had to let you guys know about it. Montana x-treme is an oil based solvent and includes ammonia to remove copper as many others do. Ammonia is found in CR10 and sweats, but there is a big, big difference between them: Ammonia in Montana is oil soluble. So what does that mean? Protection against any attack on your metal. Montana has their own lab and has done extensive tests on CR10, sweats, and others. If the barrel is left in CR10 or sweats for a while it etches. After Montana x-treme labs left the barrel in the CR10 and sweats for a while, they then let it air dry. The tech said the barrels were brown from rust as can be, and these are stainless barrels! The water based ammonia solvents leave behind a salt residue that leads to rusting. Montana on the other hand protects from rusting due to it being oil based, and they stated there was no etching of the metal after leaving it in montana xtreme for months, and did not rust whatsoever after leaving the barrel out of the solution for any lengths of time.

They also mentioned their barrel conditioner (like the oil used after cleaning). It like the other oils is a rust inhibitor, but the difference between it and the other oils is that regular oils leave a residue behind that produces carbon (thus carbon fouling) when heated (when a bullet is fired). Montana's leaves no such residue they claim. Montana x-treme also has the chemicals needed to remove powder residue, so it is an "all in 1" cleaner, and it is suppost to work quick. The tech said the new light weight rifle 1000 yard BR record holder was using the montana products when he broke the record last year (broke it by a long ways from what I understand).

I bought the stuff from sinclair international, and the guys at sinclairs say it is a big improvement over other products (they say they also like butches bore shine).

Here's their web adress if you are interested in asking questions:

http://www.montanaxtreme.com/

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that I flip flop between Montana X-treme and Butch's Bore Shine, they are both great products.

I still keep some CR-10 around for those most stubborn of barrels, but 99 percent of my cleaning is done with Butches or Montana X-treme.

I cannot really make up my mind which I like the best. I use one this time and the other the next. Shooters can be crazy like that, I guess!!

Anyway, a great product to be sure. Now what to do with those bottles of Hoppes and Shooters Choice that are cluttering up the bench?

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As guys told me before, keep the hoppes for the great "gun room" smell.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made the mistake of taking a big sniff when I opened my first bottle of Montana Extreme. It just about did me in.
The amonia virtually jumps out at you. Gawd but that's some potent stuff. I'm quite happy with the results though. It really seems to do a great job. Thanks for sharing that information with us about it being oil based. I had been following it with Kroil to be sure, but I guess I won't need to do that any longer. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally would follow up with kroil. It is just my guess, but even though it is oil based, I wouldn't be 100 percent positive that the ammonia would have absolutely 0 effect over long periods of time. I think it is a good idea to dry patch any solvent out and then put the oil down afterwards. You may want to use their barrel conditioner instead of kroil though. I was pretty impressed with what they had to say about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

snip...Now what to do with those bottles of Hoppes and Shooters Choice that are cluttering up the bench?

send'em to me...hehe.. I use hoppes all the time. If I want to de-copper I use Wipe Out and leave it overnight. The copper "Wipes Out" with 3 or 4 Hoppes patches the next day.

Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to have ANY issues with sweets 7.62. I use it in all my match barrels. As long as you hit it with a patch of something like Shooter's choice,..hoppes, etc,..then dry patch and soak with Kroil for about 24hrs,..the barrel will be super clean and uncorroded. I find it to be the best way to break-in new barrels. Sweets makes that task fast and easy.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana Xtreme is a very good product. I just picked up some of the bore oil the other day and it's effective too.

But, there is that special something about Shooter's Choice. That smell just does something magical to me....sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
If you think the Montana Xtreme is good and it is,wait until you try thier Copper Creme and Accuracy Oil.

I have meant and talked to owners at gun shows recently very nice people.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If you think the Montana Xtreme is good and it is,wait until you try thier Copper Creme and Accuracy Oil.

I take it when you say "their" that montanais the producer of the copper creme and accuracy oil? I'll have to watch for the stuff.

JustC, That is the most important thing when using sweets or CR10 is to use oil after dry patching. they say etching does take place while using the CR10 and sweats, but they didn't say the amount of material removed per length of time left soaking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shilen30:
Yup! Count me in on Montana X-treme too. Sinclair put me onto it as well, and I use it almost exclusively now. I always run a few dry patches thru the bore after cleaning tho. I also like the smell of Hoppe's however. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shilen30,..I always soak my bores in Kroil,.even when I only use shooters choice or hoppes. The Kroil conditions the steel so well,..I figure 24-48hrs with Kroil in the bore before it goes back into the safe is a sure-fire way to keep happy barrels

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt. I wonder how many guys out there realize the importance of a good oiling after shooting.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Contained in the above is the "doubt" that when left with the amonia no unwanted affects will occur. To that I can only add the fact that Amonia is a hydroscopic subtance... It attracts water...

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote