Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for gas checks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted
In a bullet and brass trade I made a while back I got about half a hundred .451" 185gr. gas check bullets. Do I load these to cast PB velocities or jacketed bullet velocities or somewhere in between? These will go in 45 ACP. cases and get fed to a 1911 clone.

Thanks in advance!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mort

Gas check bullets are usually loaded a little hotter than plain base but for the 45 ACP you're not going to get velocities where it really makes much difference. 1000 fps max from the ACP is about all you'll get and any bullet can handle that.

JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray! I'll probably use a load for a lead bullet and use them as plinking ammo.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot PB bullets in my 44mag and a 357mag rifle to normal pressure (not max) with no issues. (PB bullets gave me leading in my 9mmPara.) Hope that helps.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Do you know if these were made by that guy who gave them to you? If so do you know what he used to cast them? If wheel weights were used you should be able to push them a little faster then normal gas checked bullets. Wink I would work up your loads and if you start to see leading back off a little and call it. Best of luck to you!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Actually they look like factory made. They have the general form of a 185gr. Semi-Wad Cutter and the brass/copper comes up to just below the shoulder.

I have not seen bulllets like these before. They measure right on at .451

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Sounds like short jackets not gas check.
Hornady .308's

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PB and GC boolits shoot the same in any gun until you get to very high velocities like the .460 or a rifle when a GC helps.
The GC was needed in revolvers when velocities were starting to go up and soft boolits were being used. Leading was a problem but now that we understand boolit fit and alloys, they can be a waste of money.
I shoot PB over 1630 fps in revolvers and have reached 1800 fps without leading.
I never thought that I would be using PB boolits in magnum revolvers. I used to think that a GC was needed too.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS, Mort, those are not gas checks, they are called half jackets and the cores are usually dead soft lead.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I only learned about bullet slump from you folks on the net just recently. I used to think of 'upset' to fill the bore and that might be what was happening to my 44mag, I don't know, but... Here is base deformation from bullet slump. Slumping from impact can be seen nearer the front and this illustrates clearly what is meant by 'slumping'.

(This particular bullet had a gas-check step. It was propelled by a low-end rifle powder charge. There was no leading or flame cutting).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
James & bfrshooter,
I think you guys nailed it. These are short jacket or half jacket bullets.

So is the purpose to allow higher pressures and faster velocities or to use softer, quicker expanding lead to produce a bigger wound channel?