New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass for .375 H&H
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen,

In two or three weeks I will be the proud owner of my first Magnum rifle; a Brno 602 in .375 H&H!

The best christmas gift to myself ever!

Now, to shorten the waiting, I am shopping around for components to start reloading for this beauty.

First I will need brass;
I can get both Winchester and Remington cases for a little less than a dollar a piece, and Norma for about three. So, which ones do you think is the best quality; Win or Rem? Norma is out of the question because of the price. I can't imagine they will last three times longer than any of the other...
Anyways, the other two brands aren't cheap either, so I want to make the "right" choice when I shelf out 50 or 100 pieces of either make..

Then there's the actual reloading; I think I will be using Woodleigh 300 RN SN for hunting (Moose only) and Hornady 300 grain SP RN for target practice (because this is the cheapest 300 grain bullet I have found). I'm looking for a pair of bullets with similar P.O.I and ballistics, so I will want to ship them along in the same velocity, prefferably with Norma 204 or VVN-160 powder. Does this sound right?

happy hunting,
beefeater

Posts: 15 | Location: Tromso, Norway | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester brass - if you can get it. Norma will probably be better quality, but your .375 H&H is probably not going to be your primary bench gun.

The two bullets you list sound like fine choices. There is another thread (on the Big Bore Forum - 375 H&H Reloading Thead), where somebody lists a load for 300 grs bullets with VV N160.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quit screwing around.....go here
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0005023100100

and get 100 brass for $.37 EA....get some Hornady 270 and 300 grain RN bullets.....you need a $40 minimum order at Midsouth.

Then go to the reloading store and get a can of RL15 and a box of 100 primers Magnum primers....

There.....you'll feel better once you've got that over with.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vapodog
Ahh the joy's of a international forum "Tromso, Norway" might be a little bit outside of the normal shipping area for Mid-South supply.
As I'm going to be shopping for 375H&H brass soon however, thanks for the source and pricing.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but what about shipping/importing to Norway?

What's the conversion rate? In Norwegian money, 37 cents MAY BE close to a dollar a piece (I have no idea...).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooops, Tailgunner sqeaked in ahead of me...

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Yea.....I saw that he was from Norway after I posted that......this happened a couple years ago to a guy from Belgium. He emailed me.....bought the stuff with a credit card and had it shipped to me. I then packed it as a gift.....value was stated as $10 and I shipped it to him in Belgium.

All was fine and he was a happy camper.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello again,

Thanks for the suggestions!

Tromso is not really far from the US when it comes to online shopping, however after 9/11 lots of restrictions applied on firearmsrelated stuff. Guns, ammo, bullets and brass are difficult/expensive to import "privately". Reloading equipment (tools), riflescopes, mounts and other accessories are easy to have shipped, and is allways cheaper to buy from the US than at home, even with the added cost of shipping and customs.

37 cents is less than half the price of what I can get them for locally.. Here Win goes for USD.89, Rem is USD.98 and Norma is USD2.45 a piece at todays rates (one dollar=6.12 krowns)

Posts: 15 | Location: Tromso, Norway | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Is it illegal to ship rifle brass from the US to Norway?
If it OK for an indvidual to send it, tell me know many pieces of brass do you want? you can email me at rkmojo@aol.com

Best regards,

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington brass is heavier at the base. After I found this out I made 300 H&H cases from Remington .375 H&H brass expecting to get greater case life due to the stronger looking case and the fact that the shoulder could be sized to fit the chamber on the first shot.

Somehow this did not improve case life in terms of thinning at the expansion web on the 300 H&H cases.

The .375 cartridge had an adequate shoulder for headspacing after the first shot by the way. In summary I would use Winchester brass in the USA to handload the 375 H&H cartridge. If Norma brass cost a lot less I would try that first.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Winchester brass in the .375. Good stuff.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Since you're from Norway I thought I'd send you this American Norwegian story.....hope you like it.

A Norwegian man wants a job, but the foreman won't
hire him until he passes a little math test.

"Here's your first question, the foreman said.
"Without using numbers, represent the number 9."

"Without numbers?" the Norwegian says, "Dat is easy."
and proceeds to draw three trees.

"What's this?" the boss asks.

"Ave you got no brain? Tree and tree and tree make
nine," says the Norwegian.

"Fair enough," says the boss. "Here's your second
question. Use the same rules, but this time the
number is 99."

The Norwegian stares into space for awhile, then picks
up the picture that he has just drawn and makes a
smudge on each tree. "Ere you go."

The boss scratches his head and says, "How on earth do
you get that to represent 99?"

"Each of da trees is dirty now. So, it's dirty tree,
and dirty tree, and dirty tree. Dat is 99."

The boss is getting worried that he's going to
actually have to hire this Norwegian, so he says, "all
right, last question. Same rules again, but represent
the number 100."

The Norwegian stares into space some more, then he
picks up the picture again and makes a little mark at
the base of each tree and says, "Ere you go. One
hundred."

The boss looks at the attempt. "You must be nuts if
you think that represents a hundred!" (Thought you'd
like this one)

The Norwegian leans forward and points to the marks at
the base of each tree and says, "A little dog came
along and crap by each tree. So now you got dirty
tree and a turd, dirty tree and a turd, and dirty tree
and a turd, which makes one hundred.....So, when I
start?!"

<eldeguello>
posted
To HELL vit Yewnited States! Aye go back to Minne-soda!!

(Good story!!)